Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't know what to do anymore. My computer is revolting.

• Please log in to reply

nick_mi

nick_mi

• PipPipPip
  • 272 posts
Ok, so last night I my computer started lagging, a lot. Then I went out, came back home and I could not open internet explorer, or firefox. When I opened IE it would open then stop working and shut down. Firefox would not even open. I ran AVG and updated it and found nothing. I could still log on other other internet related progams such as MIRC and Ventrillo. I then did a system restore, and I can access the internet again, but now everything is starting to freak out again. I am constantly getting a pop up from what appears to me my vista windows security, and I am constantly getting errors trying to run stuff. I go to open Malwawarebyes( I had downloaded it awhile ago) and it fails. I get a pop up from "security warning" and it says

"Application cannot be executed. The file av.exe is infected."

I then tried to download another program you guys reccomended to get rid of temporary files but that also gave me an error. I keep getting random pop ups, and my visus scanner is literally giving me pop ups by the minutes to buy thier product because my computer is infected. Some of the other random popups include

"application cannot be executed. The file searchprotocolhost.exe is infected"
"Application cannot be executed. The file taskeng.exe is infected"

Please help, I don't know what to do =(

Edit: when I did system restore this morning, I had to do it in safe mode, as I could not do it in normal mode.
Edit #2: Tried to download hijackthis. Won't let me install it. It gives me the same av.exe pop up.

Edited by nick_mi, 04 February 2010 - 03:11 PM.

Advertisements