Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External Hard Drive Failure Is Salvage Possible?

• Please log in to reply

akennedy

akennedy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Need help . . . several days ago problems with using picture files on my external (Maxtor One Touch) 300GB hard drive. Error message read "Delayed Write Failed : Windows was unable to save all the data for the file G:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This errormay be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere."

Have run chkdsk and found "file record segment 64308 is unreadable" ...there were about 100 file segment numbers listed in all, then it read

"errors found chkdsk cannot continue in read only mode".

Tried to run the error checking in the tools tab of the Maxtor One Touch Properties Window but it says it cannot complete the check. Am I correct to assume the hard drive is failing? Can I recover lost picture files and music files? Dumb luck that my other backup drive (Seagate) failed last week and I hadn't replaced it yet. I have some files on my c drive but some are only on this Maxtor.

Any suggestions on file recovery software? Have no experience with this.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi akennedy :)

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y

If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

How To Run Chkdsk /r from Recovery Console:

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

Note the space between the K and the /
  • Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

You may also try running the Maxtor hard drive diagnostics.
You will want the iso image located HERE

If you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

123runner