Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Pro downgrade on HP Pavilion laptop

• Please log in to reply

wehey

wehey

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hello all,

I have recently downgraded an HP Pavilion dv2268ea (Italian) laptop from Vista Home to XP Pro using a full HDD format and rebuild.

After updating XP etc. I now have all but 4 devices working correctly- I have 3 Base System Devices and a Graphics Controller (VGA compatible).

After numerous tests etc. I can confirm I have an NVIDIA Go 7300 graphics card and the laptop uses an Intel 945GM chipset. I have tried installing the NVIDIA driver AND the Intel Graphics accelerator for this chipset and neither claim to be the right driver for my hardware and subsequently won't install.

The graphics are currently being emulated by NVIDIA CUDA and page scrolling etc. is terrible.

Could anyone suggest another avenue as I have drawn a blank so far?

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Laptop manufacturers have an agreement with ATI, nVidia, Intel and other graphic chip manufacturers.
This agreement basically says the graphic providers will not provide driver support for graphics on laptops.
What this boils down to is you have to get the drivers from the website of the manufacturer of the laptop. Therefore if no driver support is available then as far as HP are concerned what you are trying to do is quite simply not possible.

There are many links to third-party drivers that claim to work and do the same job, however most of them are of questionable value, with questionable sites that they are hosted on too. Therefore I wouldn't place too much faith in this route.

May I ask why you downgraded the laptop please?

wehey

wehey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
That may go someway to explaining my frustration with it.

The laptop belongs to one of my bosses who originally lived in Italy and purchased the laptop in Italy also. The laptop had an Italian release Vista Home OS on it with no additional language options, he asked if I could format and install an English OS. His preference was XP Pro as the company had a multi-user license etc.

I had suggested the downgrade may not be supported by HP and suggested that Windows 7 might be made to work with this laptop due to increased hardware compatability. Would you agree that Windows 7 should work in this application?

Thanks for your comments earlier, I think I may put the XP idea to bed now.

Regards,
Mark

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
All XP drivers are located HERE on HP's site for your model laptop.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 February 2010 - 08:02 AM.

wehey

wehey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hi thanks,

As you can see from HP's site there are no graphics drivers available in this list.

I have downloaded the graphics drivers for Vista for the dv2268ea laptop but these won't run, I have downloaded the XP drivers for the dv2000, dv2500 and dv2200 laptops, these do not run. I have downloaded directly from NVIDIA and Intel, these will not install either.

As was pointed out before, I think XP on this machine is an impossibility with current drivers available.

Regards,
Mark

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They have them HERE.
Graphics drivers and there are two so you need to know which graphics you have to get the right one.