Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New build HDD issues

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Hey guys,

So I'm helping my roommate build his first computer. Everything's assembled and appears to be running properly.
Last night, after I'd gone to bed, he said he successfully booted it and started installing Win 7 Ultimate x64. I'm not entirely clear on this, but I think he left it alone to install and went to bed after he'd started the process.
This morning, the computer was off when we woke up. When we tried to boot, it said there was no HDD detected, then went into the Windows boot options (or whatever it's called where you pick from safe mode, normal, etc). Picking any option causes the PC to restart instantly. I went into the BIOS to see if it could find the HDDs, and it clearly detected both of them. I tried swapping which was "HDD 1" and "HDD 2," and after doing so, instead of getting a "No Hard Disk detected" message followed by the boot menu, the computer would boot directly to a BSOD that said something about the HDD being corrupted, needing to check for viruses, etc.

Also relevant might be the fact that my roommate finished plugging in all the cables after I had gone to bed, and somehow didn't get it right, so none of his case fans were spinning this entire time (although thank god his CPU fan was working). He closed the side panel too, so the airflow had to be highly inadequate. So perhaps overheating during Windows installation led to a corrupted HDD?

AMD Phenom II x4 965
Asus mobo (forget what model but it's an ATX board with a socket AM3)
Sapphire Radeon HD 4850 GPU
Corsair 450W PSU
OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600 RAM
Off-brand SATA DVD+/-RW drive
2x old 40GB IDE HDDs ripped from previous computers
Storm Scout case (I think that's what it's called) with 1x140mm 2x120mm LED fans (which, as stated before, have yet to turn on properly, probably due to a simple wiring issue)

I'd appreciate any diagnostic help or recommendations on what to do!

P.S. We are poor college students so any alternative to buying new parts or taking parts to a repair shop is preferable :)

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I'm not sure what happened, maybe 7 didn't install correctly... since you are a little inexperienced, I would recommend that one of you stay with the computer while it installs and report back any problems during installation.

So I say, reinstall 7. I would also do this by just using 1 hard drive (master, the IDE connector on the very end of the ribbon cable, not in the middle), after the install goes good, then turn the computer off and attach the 2nd hard drive (slave, the IDE connector in the middle of the ribbon cable).

Also, do you have the jumpers set correctly on each Hard Drive? I would set them both to "Cable Select" (CS). Most hard drives will say somewhere on the hard drives front or back where to place the jumper. Your options are Master, Slave, and Cable Select. Put both to Cable Select, as this lets where you put the hard drive on the cable decide whether it is the master or slave.

Do all that, and let me know how it goes. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 05 February 2010 - 09:34 AM.