Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I secure my PC?

• Please log in to reply

toad boy

toad boy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

My brother is a tech guy for a local computer shop, and over the last few weeks we have been having this little competition... I know it's all fun and games but it really is improving my knowledge of PCs. My question is what to do next- so far:

I had no password, so he was able to just log on.
I password protected my administrator account, and he got onto a hidden administrator account through safemode.
I searched around here and found out how to disable the hidden administrator account.
He then booted onto the PC with a Live Cd of Linux? Somehow he turned off my password.
Then set a BIOS password and disabled boot from the optical drive without the password, but then he booted from a USB stick.
So then I locked all bootable devices without the password, but he took out the CMOS battery from the motherboard and it erased the BIOS settings...

What's next? Is it even possible to securely lock your PC? What about hard drives... how do I secure those so that if they are removed from the system and booted as a slave drive they wouldn't be accessible? I posted this in the geek talk section because my system is in no real trouble, as it's all just my brother. Thanks for any replies :)

John

Advertisements

imafool4u

imafool4u

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
Password protect your accounts, your Administrator account (accessible only from Safe Mode), your BIOS, then disable booting from Optical Drive before HDD. And put up an electrical fence.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
This is something just around the corner...

PGP Whole Disk Encryption solutions and all new 2010 Intel Core vPro Processors

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You could also look at a program called truecrypt.

asmo

asmo

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
I'd second truecrypt though it can be hard to use if you're new to is but there is a guide: http://www.randyjens...tire-hard-drive

There is also this: http://www.ce-infosy...lish/index.html which is good as well.

Both do the same thing, from a linux Live CD he'll not be able to see anything on the disk.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Also most computers (desktops) have a slot somewhere where you can fit in a padlock of some sort... Get the best one that aint gonna break easy... That'll help!

artm12

artm12

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
HI Friends,
For set up a new user account on your computer. Use the Account Manager tool found in the control panel to do this. Once the new account is set up, you can then log into your computer. Using the “CTRL-ALT-DEL” key combination in Windows XP bring up the network security box. Just click on the “Lock Workstation” button and your computer is now protected. Only you can remove the lock by entering your password.

Thanks,
James

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's easily bypassed as mentioned in post #1, I'm obviously not going into detail. Although you'd want to have someone with some serious skills who desperately wants to get the data off your computer for it to be done.

However for the most part locking the computer when you are away from it is a good idea.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
FWIW ...

Hardware-based whole disk encryption via fingerprint reader. (FIPS 140-2 certification). In other words, in order to boot the computer and/or access the encrypted hard drive requires a swipe of a valid fingerprint. BTW, all of this works before any operating system is allowed to boot up. This option is available on Lenovo ThinkPad T, R, X and Z series notebooks.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Wouldn't want to get your finger chopped off... :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
:)

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If someone has physical access to your computer, it's almost impossible to prevent access except through encryption. Notebooks like the Lenovo use hardware encryption in conjunction with a special BIOS to prevent access. If you have Windows Vista, or Windows 7 Bitlocker would be a good option. :)