Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fresh WinXP Home Setup on new NetBook

• Please log in to reply

crapelli

crapelli

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, I just bought a new Netbook (Fujitsu M2010) running on WinXP Home. Before I gona start installing any SW, I like to set it up properly with all required definitions and put the required Security SW in place. Step two should then be a mirror. And last I then would Install my applications.

What I need is XP specific help.

@Mod: should this not be the right Forum place, please guide me to the right location. Thank you.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
By "definitions" I assume you mean virus definitions as used by anti-virus & anti-spyware software?

If you don't already have an anti-virus application installed, or you want to use an alternative, I can totally recommend "Comodo Internet Security", which comprises a firewall and anti-virus in a single package. It's totally free, which I believe is unique for a Firewall + AV package. It also has probably the lowest ram requirements of them all at just 64MB, which is an important consideration on a netbook.
Get it here: http://www.comodo.co...et-security.php

Don't rely on the firewall built into Windows XP. It only monitors data coming into your PC, not data leaving it. Plus, it gives you no real-time feedback of what's happening while your online.

If you do decide install Comodo, you will first need to uninstall any existing anti-virus that's installed. And after installing Comodo, you will need to manually turn off the Windows XP firewall because Comodo doesn't do that automatically like some third-party firewalls do.

Finally, in case you already have an anti-virus or a firewall program you're happy with, Comodo's installer package allows you to install just the anti-virus, or just the firewall, or both.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 06 February 2010 - 10:11 AM.

crapelli

crapelli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks phillipcorcoran for your reply.
It's not only Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus and Firewall that I want to install.
Most important first is making a good configuration. But I don't know where to start.
I now have one user -> the Admin <-. I want to set another user with different security level in order for me not to have to work with the Admin Account. And this is where my problem starts. How is a user Configuration done properly? What has to be though of else?

Hope to fine answer here.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Set up a new account in Control Panel (classic view) >> User Accounts. Select what type of account you want it to be. There's an explanation of the different types of user accounts in there.

Apart from the default 'Administrator' account which is set up automatically by Windows Setup (and which most users never see), there has to be at least one user account which has "Computer Administrator" rights. That's the one that people create when installing Windows (or setting up a pre-installed Windows for the first time on a new PC), and that's what most owners use for themselves all the time (myself included). Provided you have sensible security software in place, using this account is quite safe.

And bear in mind that the more accounts you set up, the greater the potential there is for Windows to crash, that's been my experience even on a brand XP system. It was my son's and he was tearing his hair out. He'd created an account for every member of the family (4). I removed all of them except his, and it's now running like clockwork. 'Keep it simple' is my motto. Windows can be temperamental at the best of times without giving it even more stress.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 08 February 2010 - 10:26 AM.

crapelli

crapelli

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks!

Well yes there are currently two accounts. One it the Administrator (is this the "Computed Administrator" you mentioned) and a Guest user.
Once I read somewhere that you should not permanently work as an Admin as it would increase the vulnerability. I am the only one using this Computer, so it's fine with only two Accounts. That said, I only need to Rename and Adjust that Guest Account to - let's say - "Working Account".

What has be though of doing this. What level of security and what Account type should I give to my Working Account?