Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to know when XP was installed

• Please log in to reply

willmon2000

willmon2000

• PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Hi everybody, I am getting blamed for a malfunctioning computer. They are clamming that I did a bad XP installation. However, I don’t recall fixing the computer in question. I wanted to know if anybody knows how I can see the date that xp was installed on the computer.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
open Windows Explorer, Click on the plus sign next to my computer, Click on the plus sign next to the local disk C drive, right click on the Windows folder and go to properties ... and you will see something that says Created: date .. this date should be consistent with the creation date.
These are essentially the date and timestamps of the directory creation during XP installation.

If you are fixing a lot of computers, why do you not have billing sheet( repair order?)for every computer? You cannot keep track of very many computers before they all just jumble together. So Paperwork is the only way to keep track. My paperwork is on a computer so i usually backup the days data to a CD just in case of problems.

I have had similar problems like yours and meticulous record keeping is a must. I spend 15% of my time on records. Some customers know they can get away with a bit of fudging on their part simply because they spend a lot of money for my services.
The free time spent on them usually comes back at a later time.

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 05 February 2010 - 05:27 PM.

willmon2000

willmon2000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
You are so right from this point on i will keep paper work of every computer i fix. Unfortunately i had to take the blam because every body in the team had paper work and never advice me of it :) . However, above all it is my fault for not realizing i had to do paperwork.