Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Laptop Hardrive Install

• Please log in to reply

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
A professional computer tech. recently told me the hard drive on my 6 year old Dell Inspiron 5160 (running XP Home SP3 with all updates)is failing. He had repaired it after I had gotten the blue screen of death screen and was unable to restart Windows.
I have ordered a new hard drive that I can install myself. My question: is it better to start from scratch and reload the OS and all programs - which I can do easily enough, and don't mind the time it will require, I have all the disks that came with the machine - or simply to clone my old drive onto the new one? I have some concern about getting programs like Norton 360 onto the new drive because I downloaded them to my computer and don't have a CD, so the clone approach should avoid this problem, but the tech who fixed my computer advises against cloning as he says it can bring problems and errors from my old drive into my new one. To clone or not to clone? that is the question! :) Thanks!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
You may not be able to clone it.
Or even if you can, there's no guarantee the operating system is going to work.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks for the reply. The computer is up and running OK now, the tech was able to get Windows going again, though he anticipates it will eventually fail definitively. With it running and Windows operating OK for now, do you think I may not be able to clone it or have the OS work?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you're running on the old hard drive, it will die eventually.
You can try cloning it now but as I say, there's no guarantee it will clone. If that's the case all you can do is stick a new copy of Windows on the new drive.

creatureofdarkness

creatureofdarkness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks again. I have my answer... I'll reload rather than try to clone. I don't want to risk having to buy a new copy of Windows. :)