Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

cleaning house( add/remove)

• Please log in to reply

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
I have several questions about some software and programs on my computers. I want to eliminate some as it runs slow plus I need to add another card for more memory. I have removed 1400MB with just 2 programs thus far and still have some BIG ones to hopefully be able to remove. ( Don't have the funds as of yet for the card and after Uncle Sam gets done with me this year I may be peddling on the streets. :) jk ) Any who, back to the questions.
1. I have a Vista lappy and an XP desk both of which have Adobe Reader 9 on them. The Vista Adobe is 141MB but, the XP is 208 MB?:)
2.Are there other programs that aren't as big that work just as good or would I be better to just persevere with Adobe?
3..NET Framework sp up dates that are in the add/remove ,can the older ones be safely removed or do they serve a purpose as well?
4.Where can I find a list of things that should not be removed from the add/remove, if any?
Any suggestions would be grateful as well as helpful.
Thank You
BT

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
1-2. I recommend, you unistall Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is a resource hog, and install FoxIt Reader: http://www.filehippo...download_foxit/, which is much smaller, and faster. It does very same thing.
Make sure, you run "custom" install, and opt out from installing any extra toolbars.

3. Different programs will ask for different .NET versions, so you rather keep them. On the other hand, you don't have to have .NET installed, at least until some program asks for it.

4. How big is your hard drive and how much of a free space do you have? As long as you have at least 15% of a free space, it shouldn't affect your computer speed.

bigtrucks

bigtrucks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
Like I said need more.
sys Info

Thank you for the other info I will try the FoxIt Reader. When you say "it does the same thing,"this means when something requires Adobe reader to work this will do it instead, right?

BT

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Yeah, XP with 256MB of RAM won't fly.
You didn't say about your hard drive (how big, how much free space)...

this means when something requires Adobe reader to work this will do it instead, right?

Yes.