Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

LAN problems

• Please log in to reply

smalls101

smalls101

• PipPip
  • 50 posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to fix my girlfriend's internet connection and am not having any luck. It is connected over a LAN without a router. The wireless works fine (bridged from another laptop plugged in) but all browsers just fail to load the page. Rarely it will make it to "transferring data" and load maybe the title, but that's it.

It appears to connect fine (maybe takes a bit long), and it obtains an IP just fine and sends/receives some packets. Interestingly, it pings "google.com" just fine but it will time out if I attempt to ping the DNS or WINS servers.

There were previously a lot of networking utilities utilities installed like Cisco Clean Access (installed but disabled) so i tried the Winsock fix but that didn't do anything.

My only guess is that I disabled some annoying 3rd party wireless utility about the same time but I believe that was only for wireless. That program has since vanished from the computer as far as I can tell.

If anyone has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Smalls101? Sorry to hear that your internet connection is not working properly. Could you describe the connection a bit better? (Which system is actually connecting and via what method? ) Does the "Ipconfig /all" command on the problem system have values for DNS? Since your using a direct connection between 2 systems, did you use a direct patch UTEP cable? That is wires 1,2,3 & 6 on one side become 3,6, 1 & 2 on the other end). If you examine each end, the wire colors would appear in a different order. Direct patch cables are used between PC to PC and hub to hub connections...

Hope this helps..