Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

loading personal settings, immediately logs off

• Please log in to reply

klaasy1

klaasy1

• Pip
  • 4 posts
When I reach the login screen and click on my username it started to log me in, but then immediately says 'logging off'
I tried changed the bios settings to boot from the cdrom first, (in which I have the windows xp cd, figuring I will just format the hd and start from scratch) but it just logs in from the harddrive anyway, I get all the way to clicking the username, but it immediately logs off again. Helppp!

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit klassy1? And welcome to GtoG...

Sorry to hear that you cannot log onto your system.. Will it start in Safe Mode? (Press F8 when 1st starting up...) If it does, try to log in as the Administrator, (hope there is not a password)...

klaasy1

klaasy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Howszit klassy1? And welcome to GtoG...

Sorry to hear that you cannot log onto your system.. Will it start in Safe Mode? (Press F8 when 1st starting up...) If it does, try to log in as the Administrator, (hope there is not a password)...

No, it does exactly the same thing when trying to enter safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, all the other options.

Reading other posts I tried to boot while holding the ctrl key, but got the same thing.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
If you recently installed an anti-spyware application, some of them can cause that problem.

See if you can get Windows to start in 'Safe Mode' then uninstall any anti-spyware programs you may have recently installed. Then try starting Windows in the usual way.

To start Windows in 'Safe Mode', keep tapping F8 as soon as you turn on the PC, until you see the 'Advanced Startup Options' screen. Highlight 'Safe Mode' and press <Enter>.

If that mode doesn't work (some PCs can't start in that mode), bring up the same options screen again (you'll have to re-start the PC and tap F8 again) and this time choose "Safe Mode with networking".

As for your PC not booting from cd-rom drive, go back into the BIOS. You may not have pressed the correct keys to "Save your settings and exit" which is why the PC is still booting from the hard drive first. Check your BIOS settings are set to boot from cd-rom first, then look at the bottom of the BIOS screen for the correct key to press for "Save and exit".

If you don't get a "Save and exit?" prompt in the BIOS setup, any changes you made to it will not be saved.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 06 February 2010 - 09:04 AM.

klaasy1

klaasy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you recently installed an anti-spyware application, some of them can cause that problem.

See if you can get Windows to start in 'Safe Mode' then uninstall any anti-spyware programs you may have recently installed. Then try starting Windows in the usual way.

To start Windows in 'Safe Mode', keep tapping F8 as soon as you turn on the PC, until you see the 'Advanced Startup Options' screen. Highlight 'Safe Mode' and press <Enter>.

If that mode doesn't work (some PCs can't start in that mode), bring up the same options screen again (you'll have to re-start the PC and tap F8 again) and this time choose "Safe Mode with networking".

As for your PC not booting from cd-rom drive, go back into the BIOS. You may not have pressed the correct keys to "Save your settings and exit" which is why the PC is still booting from the hard drive first. Check your BIOS settings are set to boot from cd-rom first, then look at the bottom of the BIOS screen for the correct key to press for "Save and exit".

If you don't get a "Save and exit?" prompt in the BIOS setup, any changes you made to it will not be saved.

klaasy1

klaasy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

No, it does the same thing when trying 'safe mode with networking', the bios settings were saved.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Step I. Access the reconvery console using the OS CD. as suggested already you need to have your OS CD to repair it.

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, use the following steps:

Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console and follow the process till you will be at the recovery console command prompt.Getting to the Windows Recovery Console

STEP II. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines(in blue) then press enter after.

1. cd \ ( Note: between "cd" and "\" there should be a "blank space" else the command won''''t work )
2. cd system~1\_resto~1

If it gives an error "Access Denied" while accessing the folder, follow the method below

cd \ <Enter>
cd windows\system32\config <Enter>
ren system system.bak<Enter>
exit<Enter>

Thenrestart the computer and follow step I.

3. dir

when you hit <Enter> it will list all the restore points folders like rp1,rp2................ we have to see the last restore point to copy the file from a recent backup. if the restore points have more than one page then u have keep on hitting the <Enter> key to view the last restore point folder.

4. cd rp {the last restore point no. } (Note : Example : cd rp9, if rp9 is the last restore point, where last restore point no.=9 )

5. cd snapshot

Now the command Prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot> ( Note : restore point 9 assumed for clarity of the content, you have to goto the last restore point folder as described in the previous lines) Now according to the error message we have to copy the appropriate file from the restore point folder.

6. copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
7. Type Exit then press enter. your computer should restart and don't forget to cross your fingers