Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Beethoven prevents upgrade to SP3

• Please log in to reply

Surlyrider

Surlyrider

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Greetings.

Trying to upgrade to XP SP3 via windows update. The install fails because Beethoven's 9th Symphony wma file won't copy. Tried twice now, same results. ANy ideas?
Anyplace I can get a copy of it? The installer fails once (the copy phase I think), and asks if I want to proceed without it. I check yes, it continues, then later fails the install, and wil not proceed without it, but it does give me the option to navigate to the file, so I'm thinking maybe pointing it to a good copy might work?

Thanks!

edit- wow, that was kind of a run-on! sorry...

Edited by Surlyrider, 06 February 2010 - 07:30 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Symptoms of this type are generally caused because there is a hardware issue.
I very much doubt Beethoven himself is stopping the system being upgraded to SP3, considering he's been dead since 1827.
You shouldn't have to get a copy of it from anywhere, you have everything you need.

Best thing to do first is memory check:
http://www.memtest.org/

Then a direct lift from the forum as it explains it better than I can:

Memtest86+ is directly executable by any modern x86 compatible machine, by writing the iso to a CD one can boot from the CD to run memtest.

Simply download the appropriate package, the the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) for Windows users.

For Windows, unzip the package into a directory like C:\memtest. You will now see a file called memtest86+-1.xx.iso in this directory. You will need to burn this file to a CD with a CD recording program. Do note however that you should not make a regular data CD on which you for instance write your text documents and holiday photographs. Instead the iso file is a so called image of a CD, it is a direct copy of a CD. Your CD recording program will most likely have a feature called burn image or something to that effect which you should use to burn the CD.

Surlyrider

Surlyrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Fixed.

This problem is caused by a permissions/privileges problem in the All Users profile. 100% corrective action is pretty long, but effective. Solutions found on Microsoft.com, in the Windows Update forum. Search for Beethov9.wma or Beethoven.

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
do you listen to Beethoven's 9th or is it just there?
If you don't, just delete the file.

Surlyrider

Surlyrider

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
That wasn't the issue- the permissions problem halted the SP3 Install. Couldn't complete it until this was resolved.