Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I need serious help!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Demonykus

Demonykus

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Okay, heres the story;

I live at Boarding School, have been here for 1 year now. The school forces all of its inhabitants to use its heavily censored, seriously retarded, and overall nyerksome internet proxy system.

Now, as I said, I have been here from 1 year, and in my previous year I was able to avoid completely this firewall by using the magical, life-saving proxy tunneler client; Your Freedom.

I have used Your Freedom mainly for online gaming, Aion to be specific. In the previous year I have succeeded in gaining perfect access to Aion and all of its features through the use of Your Freedom as well as OpenVPN.

To be quite frank, i'm a newb when it comes to all this confusing stuff concerning interweb terms and definitions so I cannot fully explain what, exactly, each of these programs do, but I will try.

Your Freedom is a proxy tunneling client which allows my computer to pass through my school's proxy server and access a remote proxy server.

So, put into perspective...

My Computer ----> Your Freedom ------> School Proxy -------> Your Freedom Proxy Server -----> Aion Game Server

and then back to My Computer

When configuring Your Freedom, I configure it to use my school internet account, which I need to use to access the internet. The Your Freedom Client naturally supports authentication, and previously, with the old school proxy server this has worked without any problems.

The school, though, now has a NEW proxy server, and this is where my problem lies...

YOUR FREEDOM CANNOT AUTHENTICATE ITSELF ON THE NEW SCHOOL PROXY

It's absolutely murdering me, tearing me apart from the inside out. Why can't it recognise the authentication? My details aren't wrong, my details haven't changed. I can still access the school proxy's internet using IE with those very same authentication details.

It just seems that when the Your Freedom Client tries to authenticate it is not recognised.

Is it a problem with Your Freedom? Does its authentication type or whatever not match the one accepted by the school proxy? How do I fix this?

Help! :[

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is an issue you have to take up with the school.
Unfortunately when you use internet services that are provided by somebody else you generally have to live by their rules for usage of it or you don't use it at all.
Many workplaces provide internet access for their employees but regulate it in various ways generally through policy or worker contract. Abuse of internet facilities could be deemed to be breach of contract in this type of scenario and that could therefore mean termination of employment if it was an ongoing thing.

With regard to internet access in your boarding school, the school has changed their internet access procedure for one of many reasons. This falls under the category of being provided for you by the school under their rules. Therefore we cannot help you bypass the school's proxy. It has been changed for some reason by the school but ours is not to reason why. The most likely scenario for it to have been changed is due to users such as yourself and maybe others gaining access to what the school will consider unauthorised proxies. Please remember the school is providing you this internet access, they are responsible for it and they will probably argue you use their proxy or you don't use it at all.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
To add to what Neil Jones just stated this is per our Terms Of Use Policy here on GTG...

We cannot help you get around any administrative restrictions imposed on a school, work or other network not owned and operated by yourself. These restrictions can include (but are not limited to): website blocking/filtering, software installation, email retention, software configuration, network/internet usage, network configuration, forum or chat room restrictions, game server restrictions, or any other actions that are deemed "unauthorized" by the owners/administrators of the network in question.