Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"drive full" error message...

• Please log in to reply

jmsoler2

jmsoler2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been having a problem while downloading the pictures from my camera (Nikon D80) using the PictureProject software provided by Nikon. It indicates that the destination drive is full... however, the destination drive is my hard drive, and it has over 400GB left!

I've tried reinstalling the software, didnt work.
I've tried downloading into an external hard drive via the computer, didnt work.
I've tried using the same software in another computer, and THAT works!

That means the software works, it's just being missinformed about the disk space available...
I attach a file for you to see the little error message window from the software...
any help will be much apreciated!
juan

Attached Thumbnails

• desination_drive_is_full.JPG

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
I would run the "error checker" on the drive which PictureProject is telling you is full, as the record of it's free space being reported to the system may be wrong -- error checker will correct that. If it's the C: drive, do this:

1. In 'My Computer' right-click C: drive and choose 'Properties'.

2. Click the 'Tools' tab

3. Click 'Check Now'

4. Tick BOTH options & click 'Start'

5. A prompt will appear -- click 'Yes'

6. Restart and the error-check will run before Windows loads.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

jmsoler2

jmsoler2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
rshaffer61 and phillipcorcoran,

thank you both for your answers... here is the printscreen of my "computer managment" window...

This is the status.
I downloaded the pictures into the other computer. The 8GB SD card I was using was almost full, and now it is empty.
I took some more pictures jsut to see if the card was the problem, took about a hundred in RAW (pretty heavy files, just to push it)... and it downloaded perfectly into the "faulty" computer... The problem has ceased...

Now... this is my theory, (it may very well be complete nonsense):
As the pictures are being downloaded from the almost full SD card into the computer, pictureproject software "writes" certain information onto it, thus using up the limited remaining space in the card. In this process, the card got full, and the software being unable to write any more information onto the card to keep on downloading the next pictures, sends the "destination drive is full" message...

Does that make any sense to you?
looking forward to your feedback...
juan

Attached Thumbnails

• print_screen_hard_drive_jmsoler2.JPG

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it possible the program is trying to access the D drive?
I can see no reason for this as you have over 400 gigs free space.
Your suggestion makes sense if you are trying to write to the card and not copy to the hard drive. .

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 February 2010 - 08:12 AM.

jmsoler2

jmsoler2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No, I dont think the program is trying to write into the D drive, since I specify the directory onto which the pictures are to be copied. The directory is located on the C drive.

The other reason is that I was in fact able to download new pictures already from the same SD card in exactly the same conditions as those which generated the error, save for the fact that the SD card had now only 100 pics vs the 1700 pics it had before...

More than downloading the pictures from the camera, the pictures are copied onto the hard drive. So the software might be programed to "mark" or "tag" the copy that remains on the SDcard as "downloaded"... those "tags" might have been filling up the card... thus producing the error...

or?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It may be tagging it. The easiest way to find out is after copying pics over then format the stick and then try another set. Does it happen then?