Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Media Player 10 wont play files from mounted share

• Please log in to reply

gothtec

gothtec

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I was stupid enough to install Windows Media Player 10 on top of my old version 9, without enabling rollback, so I guess I'm kinda stuck with it, eh?

Now, my problem is that while playing DIVX, XVID, DVD's and everything else works fine, even playing DIVX movies from a shared CDROM on a networked computer through a linux box, videos encoded using Indeo's IV50, IV42 and IVeverythingelse do not work when played from mounted windows shares.

SETUP:
1 machine with several large harddrives and a bunch of network shares
1 machine with a projector, good sound system and all that crap, plus media player 10

What happens is, I open the video file through the mounted share (I:\) and WMP only plays the audio track. The file->properties window lists the file type as "Audio". HOWEVER, if I copy that file over to a local drive (C:, D: or E:), the file->properties window in WMP lists the file type as "Video", and I get both sound and video.

ALL other codecs work just fine across the network, just like Indeo's codecs did with WMP9.

If anyone of you have ANY clue as to what I could do to get WMP10 to recognize these files as video files even across a network, I'd sure like to know...

I've tried reinstalling the codecs, downloading other ones, erasing every god [bleep] codec so I can't play the file at all and then reinstalling them... It's just WMP10 making a mess of things.

Also, other players I don't really like (Media Player Classic, for instance) can play the files across the network with no problems. Could I somehow force WMP10 to think there's a video track?

Edited by gothtec, 18 May 2005 - 07:21 PM.

Advertisements

gothtec

gothtec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
*bump*

:tazz:

gothtec

gothtec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Dudes! Someone please help me with this.

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hmm.. You could try reinstalling version 9. You can most probably get it and windows media playassite.

Prophet7

Prophet7

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Just another Microsoft bug mate, I've had almost the same problem.
I now use WMP10 for some things and MP Classic for others.

There is one thing you could try, but for all it's benefits I don't know how it will go with this particular problem.
Try installing "ACE CODEC PACK" this is a brilliant little package, and even if it doesn't fix this problem, you've still scored a beaut. little piece of software.

Unfortunately the LINK I was going to place here to get it, seems not to be active any longer. But if u look around you'll find it. :tazz:

Edit: U might just have to go back to WMP9

Edited by Prophet7, 23 May 2005 - 06:37 PM.

hguy

hguy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I'm facing the exact same problem as Gothec. Installing the ALL CODEC thing doesn't work for me. I can't rollback to an earlier version of windows media either. I tried uninstalling the update etc. and didn't work. For some movie files on internet I can see no video, but just audio. Did you figure out a solution gothec?

Hope Microsoft can resolve this soon by a newer version!

Thanks

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open Media Player, then help, then about, note the version number, if it is not 10.00.00.3802 you can get this from here

http://www.filehippo...dia_player.html

Make sure you turn system restore on before you install it, as installing Media Player 10 with system restore turned off is likely to have given you the no roll back situation.

Edited by Keith, 04 June 2005 - 10:22 AM.

hguy

hguy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
I downloaded the new version but still facing the 'no video-just audio' problem. I also downloaded the 'All in 1 codec', but no luck.
Did the new version solve your problem?

Thanks for your reply.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you installed this with system restore on, so you should have roll back, does uninstalling it give you version 9

hguy

hguy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hey,
Thanks very much. Yeah, I didn't check if rollback works. It actually does! Thanks a bunch, although it still didn't solve my 'no video-only audio' problem for some reason. I have tried installing all codecs, whatever I could find and I install all sub-parts of the codec and stuff. Some Mega codec package that I searched and also All-in-one codec but nothing does the trick. In any case, thanks a lot for atleast solving the WMP 10 to 9 problem. I was thinking that it was causing the problem, atleast I know that is not the case. Still dunno which codec I'm missing though.

Thanks again.
:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank you for letting me know

gothtec

gothtec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
You are not missing the codec. I reverted to WMP9 too, and that didn't help. Instead, I've now installed Media Player Classic (google for that), which plays all the files just fine, using the same codecs as WMP. I wonder.... did you install SP2 recently? I installed that and WMP10 at the same time, and if you did too, SP2 might be the problem.

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
amazing problem restore .. lots tallked on it ..

hguy

hguy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah I did install SP2 recently... May well be the problem. I'll try the classic player and let u know if the problem gets fixed. But thanks for all ur inputs on this.

jedismith

jedismith

• Pip
  • 1 posts
;)

Having same problem. Have not rolled back to 9 but did discover (after removing and installing a gillion codecs last night) that classic does work. Assuming they both use the same codecs. Very strange.

Come on, someone dazzle us with your knowledge and fix our problem :tazz: