Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

It drives me crazy!

• Please log in to reply

Aelborn

Aelborn

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My desktop computer has a bit of a problem. Certain websites don't do as they are supposed to. For instance, www.tx.rr.com has a picture at the top left of the site. Below that picture are 5 smaller ones. When you click on one of the smaller pictures, it is supposed to open in the big picture. My desktop does nothing, well almost nothing. The caption at the top left changes but the picture does not. My internet options are set the same as my laptop, which doesn't have any problems.

Another site, www.dorba2.com/forum, I cannot log into. I put the password in and click login and I go right back to the same page. My username shows at the bottom as logged in but I cannot post because the site says I am not logged in.

Any ideas of settings that I might need to change or some file or dll that might be corrupted? I reformatted this computer a couple of weeks ago hoping a new install would fix it, but no joy.

Thanks for any help,

Aelborn

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What browser/version?
Did you try another browser?

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Internet Explorer 7 and Firefox. Operating system is Windows XP Pro service pack 2.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I didn't see this:

I reformatted this computer a couple of weeks ago hoping a new install would fix it, but no joy

You may have some hardware problem then.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I tried to connect to the first site that you mentioned and failed. Succeeded with the other.

It could be that the problems are related to the security settings of your computer. Try to lower them, temporarily in IE > Tools > Internet options. Lower the slide bar in Security and privacy.

What firewall are you using? Try to disable it temporarily and see if it makes any difference.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The file I downloaded was a zip file and built for use in windows. The drive passed the tests.

I changed security settings and shut down CA firewall. That allows me to login to the DORBA site but the other one still doesn't work.

Aelborn

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I can't connect to the other site either so it could be that the site itself is having problems.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Second site opens fine for me, but the first one:

Firefox can't find the server at www.tx.rr.com.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Shoot, my bad. The tx only goes in the email address, the site would be www.rr.com.

Aelborn

Aelborn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
A new problem has popped up. Windows update wants to install KB973686. I click to install it and a few minutes later WU wants to install it again.

Nevermind, the install was completed. If it pops up again I will have it ignore it.

Edited by Aelborn, 08 February 2010 - 08:57 AM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
www.rr.com works for me.