Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connect outlook 2002 to aol

• Please log in to reply

gormanmi

gormanmi

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

I am wanting to connect Outlook to AOL. I have followed the procedure that AOL gives, but when I open Outlook it states error, There may be server or network problems or your timeout interval may be too short.

Protocol: IMAP
Server: imap.aol.com
Port: 143

There is nothing wrong with my timeout, I think it may be my firewall?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

Which version of Outlook is it, and which version of Windows is it installed on?

gormanmi

gormanmi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi

It is Windows Vista and Outlook 2002.

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Sorry to say, Outlook 2002 is officially not compatible with Windows Vista.
It will install (but you already knew that!) but you'll encounter various problems with it.
You need Outlook 2003 or later, or use Windows Mail instead (supplied with Vista).

I ignored the 'not compatible' warning and installed Outlook 2002 on my PC. Two days later I was re-installing Windows!

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 09 February 2010 - 04:32 PM.

gormanmi

gormanmi

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Oh well, that means my whole MS Office is dead. I suppose that means I will have to by a real real copy now :) Could I not change the compatability settings on the application to run on a different OS?

:)

kcarracher

kcarracher

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Sorry to say, Outlook 2002 is officially not compatible with Windows Vista.
It will install (but you already knew that!) but you'll encounter various problems with it.
You need Outlook 2003 or later, or use Windows Mail instead (supplied with Vista).

I ignored the 'not compatible' warning and installed Outlook 2002 on my PC. Two days later I was re-installing Windows!

Phillip, I am getting the same message with XP. Is there a problem there too and if not do you have any suggestions? The mail works but I continue to keep getting the frequent messages. I think it is also causing some conflict with another POP mail account I have running concurrently. Any suggestions for resolving would be appreciated.

Kevin