Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
(I think this can be considered a new topic considering the circumstances have changed)

My Device Manager is showing the following:
1)Under Display Adapters it shows "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family" twice. One of them has a red X through it.
2)Under Modems it shows "Agere Systems HDA Modem" with a Red X through it and "Standard Modem" with nothing (no yellow or red)
3)Under Portable Devices it shows "MTP Device" with a Yellow Exclamation through it.

I bought Uniblue Driver Scanner to help me find driver's. I fixed most, but there is one problem. Once I reboot my computer I am continually d/l and installing 7 drivers on first scan. One states that the d/l will take care of 6 drivers (these drivers would be under "other devices" in the the Device Manager). When I install them, a message comes up telling me that some did not install and to do another scan to update the drivers accordingly.

The other driver that comes up on first scan is under "systems devices" - I am continually d/l and installing "Mobile Intel® 945GM/PM/GMS/940GM?/943.." Once installed a prompt comes up saying that the Intell Chipset was extracted successfully.

On the second scan to catch the two drivers(from the first 6)not installed from the first scan here is what pops up:
1)Intel® 8280 1GBM/GHM (ICH-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4. In my Device Manager under "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" it lists this very driver and there is no red x or yellow exclamation. When I try to update - it says I have the latest version. And when I check for hardware upgrades, nothing happens. I even D/L and installed this driver manually, and it's still an issue.
2)The "Mobile Intel® 945GM/PM/GMS/940GM7/943..." comes up AGAIN.

This has all come up b/c of my original issue of not being able to open/launch newer and safer browsers like IE8, or Google Chrome.

I have an Acer Travelmate 2480, Windows XP SP3 Professional Edition (Ver 2002), Intel CeleronM CPU, 1.60GHz, 504MB.

Any help/direction that can be given would be helpful!

Edited by butterrice, 07 February 2010 - 11:57 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I can't understand what you need this Uniblue program. If you need a driver you go to the computer manufacturer site and download what you need from there. Please uninstall this program and report what problems you have, if any, other then the browsers.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I have been having problems with the internet browsers for about 2 wks. I was told that I needed a driver. I added the Chipset and the Lan. And I still have the following drivers with errors:

1)Under Display Adapters it shows "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family" twice. One of them has a red X through it.
2)Under Modems it shows "Agere Systems HDA Modem" with a Red X through it and "Standard Modem" with nothing (no yellow or red)
3)Under Portable Devices it shows "MTP Device" with a Yellow Exclamation through it.

I am unable to use any other browser other than IE7 or MSN Explorer. The other browsers simply will not launch. That is why they said I needed the Chipset and Lan drivers. However, I'm still not able to use any other browsers. the one's i can use will stall and freeze.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you can surf the internet, with the exception of few sites, then the problem is definitely not with the drivers that you look after. These are drivers to the hardware and have nothing to do with surfing, with the exception of LAN driver which can cause all sorts of problem.

Have you tried what I suggested in my previous post? If that doesn't help then download TCP/IP and WINSOCK fixes, using the links in my signature. Run the fixes and let us know what happens.

Anothet potential source for the problem is Malware. Please run a complete scan of your system.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
This topic is a continuation of http://www.geekstogo...ue-t267782.html

Which follows http://www.geekstogo...g....html&st=15 which was never completed.

Edited by 123Runner, 08 February 2010 - 05:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok we have 3 topics opened and active on the same subject so butterrice we need to decide which one is going to be the one you stick with so we can close the other two. I am contacting a moderator to see about merging the topics into one so that everything that has been done will not be repeated.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
I'm frustrated and confused. In my first post "IE7 Running Slow" it ended with me doing as instructed for "add ons". Then Jessica Chen told me to clean files, registry to which I did only to have that posting end with an explanation as why it was wrong. No further instruction as to what to do next after the add ons. It just sat there. So I thought - since this may have been a driver issue, I thought it was a new issue. So I posted to that effect. That ended with with me doing as instructed with the chip set and lan, and reporting back that I still issues in the device manager and I asked for suggestions. No response. In this one, I thought b/c I had made changes (which I did go back and fix) that it changed things that were going on with my computer.

I just thought that this all rolled into new issues because the contact just ended. I wasn't trying to break rules or anything. So I apologize for any inconvenience or issues I have caused. I'm just trying to avoid buying a whole new system, as I'm about to throw this one out LOL. Again, my apologies. I will follow whichever one you think should stay open and I will be more vigilant to how I post as to not cause any undue hardships.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The problems are all related and we just need ot find the correct resolution.
I am goign to ask since you have tried IE7 and 8 with no help and msn seems to run with no problem can you try one other browser being Firefox?
It is in my signature below this message and it will tell us for sure if it is indeed IE that is the problem.
It seems to be a blockage from within IE and using a native browser with no add ons will help to figure this out.
I didn't go back and look at the other topics completely through so if i am repeating anything you have already done please let me know. I would also like to try to disable all addons with IE and see if that helps.

To disable add-ons in Internet Explorer 8
1. Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then clicking Internet Explorer.
2. Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.
3. Under Show, click All add-ons.
4. Click the add-on you want to disable, and then click Disable.
5. Repeat step 4 for every add-on to disable. When you are finished, click Close.
Now restart IE and retry IE as before. Let us know if it still happens or not. If not then try enabling one add on at a time and trying IE again till you find the problem.
Most times the cause will be a toolbar add on.

Please do as Skeptic has instructed first and let us know how ti works then before doing as i suggested.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 February 2010 - 08:33 PM.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Skeptic -
I did do as you suggested. I don't know what I driver's I need. That is why ended up d/l that program. I thought it would help. I still have the same three issues in my Device Manager with or without the program:

I will now do what you have instructed:"If that doesn't help then download TCP/IP and WINSOCK fixes, using the links in my signature. Run the fixes and let us know what happens.

Anothet potential source for the problem is Malware. Please run a complete scan of your system."

I will post my findings.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Rshaffer - I have IE7 now, and I disabled all of the add on's as you suggested sometime last week. There is still some freezing and not displaying webpages. MSN will react the same. IE8 only works in Safe Mode. I can't open/launch any other browser (firefox, google chrome, ie8, opera, or safari) other then IE7 or MSN. I will do as Skeptic instructed and post everything.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

IE8 only works in Safe Mode

This is a good hint we are dealing with a driver problem here.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Skeptic - My results:

1. TCP/IP – I d/l and ran the program. I clicked “reset TCP/IP” and a prompt stated that it had been reset and I rebooted. Still can not open Firefox. IE7 still running.

2. WinSock XP Fix – d/l and ran the program and I rebooted. Still can not open Firefox (this is my test browser since I uninstalled IE8). IE7 still running.

3. MalwareBytes Report:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44
Database version: 3711
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.13

2/9/2010 12:16:50 AM
mbam-log-2010-02-09 (00-16-50).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|E:\|)
Objects scanned: 213725
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 5 minute(s), 21 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

I will wait for further instruction. Thank you!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please uninstall firefox, download the program and reinstall it afresh (Remove the old installation first. Only then reinstall). See if it works.

Download Google Chrom and see if it works for you. If you have an old installation please remove it first.

Regarding the drivers: uninstall those with the red X and do not do anything with them for the time being. Write down the make and model of your computer and we will help you finding the correct drivers. Like I sais, your browser problem is not related to the drivers but by now we could be better off ending the comfusion concerning this part.

Do you have a DSL/cable modem and/or router or is it a dial-up connection?

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
Okay I uninstalled Firefox and Google Chrome. I then reinstalled them. I even rebooted. Nothing. It's on my computer, but still will not launch/open. I then uninstalled these two driver's with the red x -
1)Under Display Adapters it shows "Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family". There were two of these, one with the red x - I Uninstalled the one with the x. Should I uninstall the other too?
2)Under Modems it shows "Agere Systems HDA Modem" with a Red X through it. I unstalled this as well.

I rebooted.

Now in Device Manager these two drivers have a yellow exclamation:
1) Under "Other Devices" Video Controller has a yellow exclamation.
2) Under "Portable Devices" MTP Devices has a yellow exclamation.

I have a cable modem, Wireless through AT & T. Not sure what all you need but My Computer is an Acer TravelMate 2480 Intel® Celeron® M Cpu 1.60ghz 504 MB Running Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP3

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please leave the drivers out for the time being and concentrate on the browsers.

Is it only the browsers giving you problem (more specifically: do you have problem with other applications that do not open)? I understand that you can run IE 7.0. Am I correct? If this is the case then please post in the Malware forum (Use the link in my signature). We must make sure that the computer is malware free.