Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Device Manager

• Please log in to reply

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Actually, I can not open Adobe 9. It's on my computer, but it won't launch. Adobe is the only other one I have tried, but it seems I can open any older version's of programs, but nothing new. I have posted in the Malware forum. Here is the link to it = http://www.geekstogo...es-t268217.html

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
OK. Lets wait and see.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Ok Skeptic :) I'm back. Malware, virus, trojan, spyware, and adware free. I still have an issue with my device manager. I have a yellow exclamation next to "video controller" under "Other Devices" and a yellow exclamation next to "MTP Device" under "Portable Devices". I tried to update them and the updater tells me that I can't b/c it can't find it or there isn't a later version. Oh - I can open everything now. So just a question about those two drivers.

Your help is appreciated!!! Thanks!

Edited by butterrice, 22 February 2010 - 09:31 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Welcome back. I fillowed your thread in the malware forum and I must say that I was impressed.

Regarding the drivers: The drivers for your acer are Here. Download them to your computer to a folder that you know where it's located and install them. Before you install the new drivers right-click the yellow-marked drivers in device manager and uninstall them. We want to install the new one without having the old one interfering.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Hi Skeptic - something is wrong with the link, the browser is saying it can not display the webpage. So I found the sight myself, but I don't know what driver to get. Marvell Yokon 8838038 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller has a yellow exclamation, but I also have Broadcam 802.11g Network adapter under "Network Adaptors". Are these the same thing just different kinds?

The Video Controller under "other devices" I don't know what driver to replace it with. Then the MTP Device under "portable Devices" - again, I'm clueless.

I'm sorry - I just don't want to get wrong the ones.

Thanks for your help!

Edited by butterrice, 23 February 2010 - 08:25 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Locate the drivers you need starting from this page. If you run IE 8.0 you get a narrow nar at trhe top of the page asking for permission.

to find what drivers you need download Everest from my signature, Run the program and click on Network and at the top of the page you fill find the name of the device for which you need a driver.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Under the Device Manager, please report all items listed under "Disk Drives".

Quick Edit: I should probably explain my thoughts in case another Tech can follow up before I login next. From reading through the logs and this thread, I'm wondering if the Hard Drive is failing, it sounds like it is experiencing issues similar to what I have seen and a new hard drive fixed the issue. Once we have the make of the drive, we can run HDD diagnostic. :)

Edited by Troy, 24 February 2010 - 08:26 AM.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
OKay - so which do i do first - Skeptic's reply or Troy's. I won't touch anything until I hear from one of you.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
To be honest I'd run the diagnostic first. If it comes up all clear then we can follow on with Skeptic's advice.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Okay Troy - There is only one thing listed under Disk Drives:
Samsung HM120JI

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
http://www.samsung.c...port_HUTIL.html

You must make a bootable disc (CD or Floppy) and run the diagnostic off that. Be very careful when running the diagnostic as the diagnostic program also has the option to fully wipe the drive which will erase all data - obviously we're not looking to do this!

Run the full length diagnostic, not the quick scan, and report back with the results.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
I think I'm doing something wrong. I d/l the files on a CD but I'm having problems booting the computer using the CD. I'm not sure what to do to boot the computer off of the CD. Thanks for you help!

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
Okay - I need some help. I d/l the the program from the link in Troy's post. When I try to burn it to a CD-R there is nothing there to burn. I'm either doing something wrong it's a bad link. How do I make a bootable disk? Most of the tutorials I have found (b/c I'm trying to do this on my own given no reply) talk about floppy. I do not have a floppy disk drive. I have a sans and a CDR/DVD. Is there a way to run a diagnostic without creating a bootable? Help plz! Thanks!

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The problems you had had nothing to do with the hardware and you are wasting your time.

Please ignore device manager. Just forget about it and tell us if there are any "real" problems like programs that you can't open etc. Your computer has gone through one of the most difficuly virus removals that I have seen and you can expect some glitches.

butterrice

butterrice

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
okie doke - thank you for all your help!