Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OS not seeing my programs

• Please log in to reply

Griff2010

Griff2010

• Pip
  • 3 posts
XP pr 32 sp3 OS

What happened: Hard drive crashed or was infected.

It would load to the blue screen and beep and then try to reload... blue screen and reload..

Hoping I had not lost everything, I tried a reinstall of the same operating system. When finished, there was nothing there, or that I could see...

I started to install some of my programs and got a warning saying that it would erase the last installed!!????

I quickly went to c drive and opened the program files.. and this is where it get's strange. I have all my programs on there. I can pull up my desktop from before the melt down. Some programs even run, most do not. There is not two program files.. just one. wow!

My question is how do I get the same OS to recognize the programs that are on the C drive..?? I really don't want to have to re install all of the software.. it would take a day!!! need to be working. Deadline tomorrow.

Edited by Griff2010, 07 February 2010 - 03:01 PM.

Advertisements

Griff2010

Griff2010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Also, I know that there should be registry entries, but this is all on C drive.. All I did was fix the OS with the same OS... xp pro 32 sp3.

Don't get why I can pull them up by going to START-My Computer- C drive- Programs and see everything. They just won't run...