Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Strange Bootings in Vista

• Please log in to reply

TheodKn

TheodKn

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I boot and run Vista ultimate fine. Last week I had to boot in safe mode, but Windows deny. After loading the crcdisk.sys file the

pc stops and reboots in normal mode with no problem. I tried all options of F8 and msconfig, I run virus scan and

chkdsk,installation disk, system restore, but everything is ineffective. The safe mode looping, as I saw in a Google tour, is

quite common and can be caused by many reasons. In my case I can exclud hardware or bios failure because my other partition with

the same OS in the same HDD is OK. I wonder why the safe mode has problem and not the normal mode. I suppose the crcdisk.sys

seaches for a file or an etry that is corrupted by a virus. If someone would have an advice I would be very obliged.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome To Geeks To Go!

The fact that another OS partition on the same disk does not have that problem does not necessarily mean that the disk is completely healthy. The two operating systems are on different physical sectors of the disk - one sector may be damaged while the other sector is not.

I recommend you test the disk with the manufacturer's own diagnostic testing utility which is freely provided by almost all disk manufacturer's on their respective websites.

The disk may turn out to pass with flying colours, but If it was me I would want to run the test if only to satisfy myself that the disk is fine, then start looking elsewhere for the cause if necessary.

Finally, I'm curious to know why you find it necessary to have two identical versions of Windows on the same PC, seems to be an awful waste of disk space? A dual-boot setup is a great idea, but why both the same?

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 08 February 2010 - 07:02 AM.

TheodKn

TheodKn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Phillipcorcoran
Thanks for your prompt reply The safe mode booting is not of course an everyday practice and I will fix it by the next format, since at the moment everything else is OK. The question is why normal boot runs fine. Now about my two OS: They are not exactly identikal. I have the English version and the Greek version. Two years earlier one of them was XP but after installing Vista I deleted it. (because of Microsoft stupidity to be deleted all Vista's restore points after the entrance in XP). This twin installation helps me to share and separate programs and files, to study the behavior of a program, and to correct errors. For example my cousin desrtoyed one partition installing a silly program for registry cleaning and i needed to enter in C from the other partition to run a previus vertion of C. For my HDD you are right. Ten months ago the disk died so bios did not regognise it. Before I throw it out the windor I put it in the freezer for a night and next day using a DOS program for HDD regeneration it resurrected. So realy has bud sectors.
P.S. Your phrase "pass with flying colours" impresed me, but I did not understand the meaning because English is not my native language. I found this: "The term comes from the practice of a victorious fleet sailing into port with flags flying from all the mastheads." I am also grateful for this.

Friendly

Friendly

• Pip
  • 3 posts
All the support sites are filled with victims of VISTA.

FOR THREE WEEKS OUR VISTA HAS SHUT DOWN, WINDOWS STOP WORKING, I E STOP RESPONDING AND ON AND ON AND ON. BLUE SCREENS DAILY, AND NO SOLUTIONS FROM MS.

MS OFFERS NOTHING AS I HAVE BEEN SENDING IN ALL MY LOGS WE HAVE TRIED ALL THE FIXES NOTHING WORKS.

Do a Google Search search and you will find volumes of other victims of MS and it junk.