Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD--Can't Reinstall XP?

• Please log in to reply

radjxf

radjxf

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello all. I was referred to this forum from the Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion....

First off, I'm not at all "computer-savvy"! That said, here's my problem:

My son has our old 11-year old Dell Dimension 2350 running XP SP2 or 3.

He is only 9, but surfs the net, plays too many flash games, etc. No visiting of "bad" sites per se...

Lately it became infected with several Trojans. During this time we were also met with the BSOD on several of the startups.

I ran everything under the sun, including Malwarebytes, Microsoft Security Essentials, Super Anti-Spyware, you name it. I had the best success with Malwarebytes.

So today, the computer would NOT start in Safe Mode, but would start in normal mode. As of this evening, BSOD on EVERY startup with stop code: 0x0000007B.

I tried to put in the XP disc (not that I have any clue what I'm doing) to reinstall the OS, but just goes to the Blue Screen.

We are in a bit of a money crunch right now, and would like to salvage this PC if possible, i.e. replace HD, etc. However, given the age of the PC it may be best to let it die.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Quick update:

I figured out how to access the BIOS. I set it to boot from the XP CD.

Blue Screen again! This time it says: SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

STOP: 0x0000006F

Maybe the HD is toast?

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
First you stated that you were infected we need to get that taken care of.

I suggest you go to the Malware Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run and/or post the required logs, then post that in your initial post in the topic you create in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
tuxmaster: I actually followed the sticky you mentioned. I went through step three. Malwarebytes claimed I had no infections.

Therefore I tried to reboot but the PC goes right into the BSOD when I try to reboot. Perhaps the infection is actually still there, or I have another problem with the HD?? This is why I went into trying to repair the OS.

Edited by radjxf, 07 February 2010 - 09:42 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
A Repair installation will not remove an infection. A clean reinstallation will but at times depending on infection that could be taking a bulldozer to remove a tree.

If you want to reinstall I will leave that up to you. It is a more tech savy process and does require some preperation to do so. Let me know you decision.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
tux: thanks again for your patience and help.

As soon as I got the BSOD, I figured I had no other avenue other than to try and repair the OS from the CD-ROM. Now, after choosing the repair option I'm stuck at the "black screen of death"!

It's a black screen with 'Safe Mode' in all four corners, and an error message that setup cannot run in Safemode. If you check OK, you're stuck in an endless setup loop over and over.

Someone suggested using the "R" option for Recovery Console. When I try that, it gets to a point where it asks for an administrator password. No clue what that is. I tried every logical password, but nothing works. I've never set a password requirement anywhere, maybe the virus did that too?

Lastly, another person suggested that since I'm trying to boot from an old XP SP1 disc to repair an SP3 XP OS, that is the problem. Perhaps I could try my wife's SP2 XP disc?

Very, very frustrating.....

Edited by radjxf, 08 February 2010 - 11:34 AM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Did you do a repair install or a install with a format?

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I put this on a backburner, as I just got injured snow skiing!

Looks like my only option now is some version of either full reinstall or repair.

I tried the repair first.

Right now, I'm stuck in an endless setup loop. No matter what I try I end up at the "black safe mode screen". I've tried to tell it to boot from other drives, etc in the BIOS, but I seem in a neverending loop for right now.

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
A Repair installation will not remove an infection. A clean reinstallation will but at times depending on infection that could be taking a bulldozer to remove a tree.

If you want to reinstall I will leave that up to you. It is a more tech savy process and does require some preparation to do so. Let me know you decision.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I would like to do a complete reinstall, but don't forget about the setup loop I seem to be stuck in. I do have all the original discs, etc that came with the PC.

Please let me know how to proceed at your convenience. Thanks again.

J

Advertisements

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
one-week bump

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Send Tuxmaster a pm about wanting to proceed with full installation. He is pretty busy and probably did not recieve the email notification on the 23rd.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts

No matter what I try I end up at the "black safe mode screen

Are you operating in a safe mode environment?
If so, have you tried a restore to a time before the problem started?

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

He is pretty busy and probably did not recieve the email notification on the 23rd.

Busy is a understatement. That and I never got your PM.

If you have the actual XP OEM Cd media my contacting HP you can do the following it is recommended to have these anyways so if you don't have them I would call HP and ask for them.
http://howtocleanins...all-windows-xp/

The following are instructions on using the restore CD you should have.

http://h10025.www1.h...n...c=en&dlc=en

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks guys. I can only imagine how busy you guys get....

This is actually an old Dell Dimension 2350.

The main problem is that I'm stuck in some endless setup loop ending in a black screen with 'safe mode' in all four corners. No matter what options I try to choose in the Bios, it won't let me access whatever options I need for a full, clean install.

I don't care about losing anything on this PC, just need to start over! A self-described computer expert at work told me to just run a big magnet over the HD! :)