Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD--Can't Reinstall XP?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope, you probably need to enter the BIOS or Setup and change the boot sequence so that the cdrom is the first boot device. This will allow the system to boot to the cd as Tuxmaster has instructed.

I think to enter this you click the F2 key.
To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the Appropriate button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the XP cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:
"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

Advertisements

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'll triple-check tonight, but I'm very sure the boot sequence is correct---this is what has me perplexed.

Will report back later. Thanks

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is your cd that you are using a Genuine XP or a Recovery cd supplied by computer manufacturer?
Is it a copied version or downloaded version?

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Is your cd that you are using a Genuine XP or a Recovery cd supplied by computer manufacturer?
Is it a copied version or downloaded version?

It is the original XP SP1 disc that shipped with the PC.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK is it a recovery cd?
Being a Dell it's most likely a recovery cd.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

OK is it a recovery cd?
Being a Dell it's most likely a recovery cd.

The disc I have is labeled as such: Reinstallation CD, Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1.

I also have the "ResourceCD" including device drivers, diagnostics, etc.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Could be a bad cd or drive itself is not reading correctly.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
So now, after verifying the correct boot sequence, etc. setup is starting and stops with this message:

The file abp480n5.sys is corrupted.

Press any key to continue.........I press a key and now at the bottom of the same screen appears: Setup failed. Press any key to restart your computer.

Nice....... :)

*edit* I pressed a key, going through it again....got past the above error this time, now at the user agreement......
*2nd edit* Chose F8 at user agreement...now goes into yet another BSOD: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A

**When I now go into BIOS there is now a Enter Password prompt!!! What??? No clue what the password is....I typed in "Password"....now all my boot options are "grayed out" and it has Hard Disk as 1st, and CDROM as 2nd!

If I tap F12 while booting, it allows me to choose CDROM to boot from, could this be the conflict??

Very close to throwing this thing out the window :)

Edited by radjxf, 06 March 2010 - 09:32 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you never have setup a password leave it blank and press enter. It should continue on.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

If you never have setup a password leave it blank and press enter. It should continue on.

Thanks, but tried that first....still all options in BIOS are grayed out.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK device driver is the issue but not sure how since windows isn't even loaded.
First lets try to get the bios to straighten out.
What you will need to do is open teh case and remove the cmos battery for 5 minutes and then reseat it and start the system. This will clear the cmos and bios settings and put everything back to factory defaults. This should remove your problem then and allow you to boot to the cd again and hopefully be able to do the fresh install.
What you would be looking for is located on the motherboard inside the system and looks like the below picture. Be careful not to break the latch that holds the battery in place.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Looks like I can't win for losing here..

Removed the battery for 15 minutes and tried again.

After the user agreement, I get this screen yet again: (BSOD): IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A

Edited by radjxf, 06 March 2010 - 04:07 PM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Now to get more detailed.
Follow the link HERE from Microsoft for troubleshooting the error.

There is a conflict in your hardware, or a failure.

123runner

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Now to get more detailed.
Follow the link HERE from Microsoft for troubleshooting the error.

There is a conflict in your hardware, or a failure.

123runner

Thanks, that's exactly where I've been for the last few minutes....

I tried method 1; didn't work. The rest of them are over my head. No clue what they're talking about. This PC is so old, a lot of the recommendations may not even apply. No idea where all this caching and shadowing options are in my PC. I've been all through the BIOS, and I don't seen any of those options mentioned.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
I have just re-read the topic. It sounds like we are looking at a hardware failure. It could be a bad CD drive, hard drive, memory, main board, or anything else.

Lets see if a linux live CD will work. It will run from the CD drive and run in memory. If you can't get it to run, the we are most likely looking at a CD drive or memory.
If it runs, then a possibility is hard drive or board.

Get Puppy Linux Download this file:
puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
and burn it to cd
If you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files get burncdcc from my signature below ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....

put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is in good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..You must have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy.

All we are looking to do is get Puppy linux loaded in ram and have you try to manuever around a few of the screens.

123runner