Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD--Can't Reinstall XP?

• Please log in to reply

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Puppy linux will not run----nothing happens....

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you burn it using the burncdcc program, or a different way?

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Did you burn it using the burncdcc program, or a different way?

I burned it with a windows program that was on my laptop. I'll download burncdcc and try again.

Edited by radjxf, 06 March 2010 - 07:52 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It has to be burned as a ISO or Image disk. burning it any other way will not allow the disk to be bootable. Even if you burn it as a Bootable Disk it will not boot.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, burned Puppy the right way this time.

I'm at the "Puppy desktop". Anything I should do now?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Now that you are at the Puppy Desktop can you see all your drives?

Edited by rshaffer61, 06 March 2010 - 08:51 PM.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Yes, I can see all of the drives.

However, sometimes the HD icon is red, and sometimes it is green with another icon of a file cabinet to it's left. I can click on the 'file cabinet' and some icons are active, while others are grayed out.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The greying out means those files are hidden files. If I am correct those file names with have a DOT at the beginning of them.
I take it since you have not been able to install XP then there is no data on that drive correct?
This tells us the drive itself is working to some degree so now we have to look at the disk itself.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

The greying out means those files are hidden files. If I am correct those file names with have a DOT at the beginning of them.
I take it since you have not been able to install XP then there is no data on that drive correct?
This tells us the drive itself is working to some degree so now we have to look at the disk itself.

Not sure if I'm following you correctly. I can access only certain folders. For example, I can't access any pics that were on that PC, but I can access Program Files and see all the stuff that was installed, i.e. Mozilla, Superantispyware, etc.

There's really nothing I need to recover; this is why I'd just like to wipe it clean and reinstall.

Thanks again for your help, and let me know how you'd like me to proceed.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
The idea behind using Puppy Linux was to see if you could maneuver around on the drive.

Heres what we know from that exercise.
1. You have the CD drive set to boot 1st.
2. The CD drive is functional.
3. Ram/memory does not seem to be an issue.
4. The main board seems to be ok.

What we are suspecting (correct me if I am wrong Rshaffer61) is that the recovery/XP CD is scratched or just plain bad.

123runner

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

What we are suspecting (correct me if I am wrong Rshaffer61) is that the recovery/XP CD is scratched or just plain bad.

:) :) :)

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

:) :) :)

My XP Reinstallation CD looks brand-new. Not a single scratch, mark or even a fingerprint! My CD is Service Pack 1, is this an issue?

Is there anything else I can do at this point???

Thanks again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK since you want to do a fresh install then the following is the steps to do this.
When you insert the cd then you should get a notice as I said before about clicking any key to boot to the cdrom.
After doing that then you will get the following.
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

OK since you want to do a fresh install then the following is the steps to do this.
When you insert the cd then you should get a notice as I said before about clicking any key to boot to the cdrom.
After doing that then you will get the following.
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php

I think we're going in circles again! This is what I tried earlier (page 2) and now again: after I press enter to reinstall, then F8 to agree to the terms, it goes right into a BSOD: STOP: 0x0000000A. The stop screen mentions disabling BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. I cannot find any of these options anywhere in the BIOS. Also recall from earlier, I removed the battery that resets some settings?

I cannot get past this so far.....

Edited by radjxf, 07 March 2010 - 12:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is the option we have then.
Take the drive out. Slave it to a known working system and then format it. The issue has something to do with a driver somewhere that is stopping this from continuing.
Then once formatted and it is clean you can install back to your system and then try to install xp fresh from there.