Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD--Can't Reinstall XP?

• Please log in to reply

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Is this a desktop or a laptop?
Is there a floppy drive?

Rshaffer61....we could try Dban (Deriks boot and nuke) on the drive.

If OP has a floppy, we could try Fdisk from the dos days for deleting the partitions and then format.

Advertisements

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Is this a desktop or a laptop?
Is there a floppy drive?

Rshaffer61....we could try Dban (Deriks boot and nuke) on the drive.

If OP has a floppy, we could try Fdisk from the dos days for deleting the partitions and then format.

It's a Dell Dimension 2350 desktop.

It has a DVD-ROM drive, CD drive and a floppy drive.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dban may help clean the drive off also.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,525 posts
Lets use Dban on the drive 1st. That will write 1's and 0's to the drive and securely wipe it.

Get Dban from the link in my signature. The link will 1st start at Deriks Boot and nuke. Click on download in the left corner.It will link to SourceForge.
Download and then un-zip the file. In the folder is a iso file.
Burn the file to the CD using Burncdcc.
Then boot the CD the same as you did for the puppylinux program.

NOTE: Be sure that you are using Dban on the correct hard drive if you have more than 1 drive.

After that, then try installing windows again.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Ran Dban, so far so good.

Installation took off this time. However, it's at the point where you see the 'advertising' screens (lower left says installing devices) and is currently installing windows. There's a green indicator bar that's about 3/4 of the way across.

It also says "Setup will complete in approximately: 34 minutes". It's said this for about 5 hours+. Perhaps it depends on your interpretation of approximately?

Should I be concerned, or just let it run?

Edited by radjxf, 07 March 2010 - 11:02 PM.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Update before I go to work:

Setup was "hung up" all night at 34 min remaining. I held in the power button and shut it off.

When it restarted, I get this error screen:

File asc.sys caused an unexpected error (32768) at line 3529 in d: \xpsp1\base\boot\setup.c.

Press any key to continue.

Hit a key, setup resumed and is now right back at that same screen stating it's installing devices, but appears to be moving further forward this time.....I've gotten past the time, language stuff,etc. and am now at 26 minutes left.

*update* It's now hanging at 26 minutes left. I got a "copy error" screen that says: Setup cannot copy the file icaapi.dl_. This is the second copy error so far. I've hit Retry on the error screen, but this is the second copy error in the last 5 minutes, with a different file listed.

Should I try to get another disc from someone else????? Not sure how that'll work with product keys, reg codes, etc.

Gotta go to work, hope this thing can "do it's thing" or just sit while I'm away......

Edited by radjxf, 08 March 2010 - 07:19 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As long as the XP is the same version..Home, Media or Pro then you can use someone else's disk. The only thing is you have to have the same version to use YOUR product key.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
After answering "retry" to those two errors, I'm now sitting at the desktop screen.

No icons of course, except for the recycle bin.

I guess I now install drivers?

I have a blue Dell Dimension ResourceCD.........contents: Device drivers, Diagnostics and utilities, Computer documentation.

Do I just pop this in and go?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep you are almost there now. Good job so far.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Okay, I've got a desktop with a recycle bin---that's it.

Under Device Manager, everything under "other devices", i.e. Ethernet Controller, Audio controller, and video controllers have the ? beside them.

I have no apps, no internet connection (no browser, formerly had Firefox), etc.

I found a Dell Resource CD that had some drivers and installed them.

So where do I go from here? Thanks again guys for getting me this far!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK great job so far. Try going HERE to Dells driver page for your model.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Get the drivers in this order to install
Chipset
Network
Video
Sound
From this point it is time to look for updates that may be on that site.
Once installed the original drivers check Device Manager again to see if the yellow exclamation marks are gone. If not let me know which are still showing.

radjxf

radjxf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

OK great job so far. Try going HERE to Dells driver page for your model.

I installed Firefox, but I as of now have no way to connect to the internet and no clue how to set that up.

Should I first get the drivers on another PC, and install those before tackling the internet issue?

Lastly, please recall that I am now in Service Pack 1! Should I deal with upgrading to SP2/3 or whatever later and do the drivers first?

Edited by radjxf, 08 March 2010 - 08:58 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The page I linked to has all the original drivers for your system when it left the factory.
If you get the
chipset
video
network or lan
audio and install them in that order your issues should start correcting themselves.
If you have access to a flash or thumb drive then copy all the drivers to it and then install them on your system.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Drivers first then worry about service packs. First thing is to get the system working and connecting to the internet.
Then you can log into Microsoft windows update page and do all the updates from there.