Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OOPS compaq wont boot after recovery

• Please log in to reply

nesslin78

nesslin78

• Pip
  • 8 posts
[size="6"][size="6"]I am so in the dog house at home! My mum gave her Compaq Presario sr1000 to my 13 yr old son for homework. I ran really badly. She hadn't done the recovery CD'd so I did ( it took 7 CD's!) and decided to take it back to factory settings...
I went through Programs/tools and didn't use the CD's... it went well, I recognised the process etc... when the computer tried to restart however, it had a hissy fit! It freezes on the page 'windows is starting please wait.....
I have tried using CD1 but it wont run it, I went into BIOS and allocated boot from disk... it still wont run the CD. I know the CD has many files on it as I checked when I burnt it.
I cant get it to go into safe mode, none of my F keys work apart from the F1 to get it into BIOS.
I read that it can take hours to restart after recovery, I left it on all night but nothing happened. Mum mentioned it had a different motherboard in it as she had to have it repaired once before..

Please can someone help before my son disowns me!!

Many thanks

Vanessa x

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
It seams as if windows has not finished reinstalling. I would use Compaq method for reinstalling windows. It should say something on the first screen that you see on how to do that.

nesslin78

nesslin78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for replying
The first screen tells me to use F keys for various tasks ie F10 to system recovery etc....... my F keys don't do anything except for F1 which enters BIOS
I have tried the holding down an F key on start up as well as pressing repeatedly- seems nothing works :)

Thanks again

Vanessa x

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Do you have the disks that originally came with the system?

nesslin78

nesslin78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Nope :)
Mum says it didn't come with any disks, that's why I made the 'one time only' recovery CD's before I started fiddling...

Vanessa x

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
You will want to restart the process with those disks again and let it finish it's thing it is not finished until you see the desktop. This time you will want to boot to those CDS that you burned starting with the first one.

nesslin78

nesslin78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
:)

How do I do that? I pop the 1st CD in and it wont run it, I've tried putting it in on start up, and changed the BIOS to boot from CD but it wont work
what am I doing wrong? am I being thick

nesslin78

nesslin78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

HUMPH!

I have managed to get the CD to run..... but it tells me 'this CD is NOT for this model'

how can it not be?? I burnt the blooming thing from 'this model'

could it be the change in motherboard my mum told me about?

any more ideas?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

could it be the change in motherboard my mum told me about

if you changed the mobo...then yep...thats why it won't work...
what else have you done...we NEED all the info...

nesslin78

nesslin78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
oh poop :/

as far as I know (mum paid some guy to fix it) it has a different motherboard in it, that's all I know. I have no disks or passwords or anything....

It's not looking good is it?

x

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
nope...you will have to buy a new copy of windows...
you will not be able to use restore cd's from the manufacture because they will be for the old motherboard and chipset

nesslin78

nesslin78

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

That sounds expensive!!

so no magic buttons, or wave of a screwdriver is going to fix it?

Thanks very much for your help

My lesson of the day.... Don't fiddle unless you know what you are doing :)

Thanks again x

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can get XP HOME here for $90.00...
I have seen it for only $60.00 on sale

anzenketh

anzenketh

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
I would also have your mom get in contact with the person who installed the replacement motherboard to get the specifics on it. It sounds like a non compaq motherbaord was installed on a compaq system.