Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card to TV S-Video Microsoft Links

• Please log in to reply

wwisconsin

wwisconsin

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Almost every Friday night since 2002, we have been playing Microsoft Links 2001 on the big screen TV. My Dell PC has a Nvidia GeForce4 MX420 with an S-video cable to the TV. It worked great, especially with a cordless mouse passed from person to person on the coffee table.

I recently bought Links 2003 and can't make it work. The TV, computer, and video card have not changed. We can still play Links 2001, but would really like to play 2003, even if we have to buy a new card for the PC and/or the TV.

Here's what happens. I boot the PC; use the desktop properties (settings) to select the TV as the monitor. This switches the screen over to the TV. Then, looking at the TV, I open up Links 2003. When I try to get a game going, I get the warning that 3D acceleration has been disabled, and Links will have to use "Rendering" mode. By the way, Links 2001 automatically displays a similar brief message but then starts the game. With Links 2003, after the warning, another warning says that the resolution is to low and must be at least 800 x 600. "Go to graphics settings (in Links) nad make this change". When you check the settings, it is already at least 800 x 600. When yoy try to start the game, you keep coming back to the same warning.

Then we close Links 2003, open Links 2001 and get on with the game. Also, Links 2003 works fine if you just use the computer monitor.

I can't find help at the Nvidia web site. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Advertisements

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
sounds like you need a new tv...look up the display in the tv manual and post it...it probably has to be 576 and you only have 490.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
nixx, this will be a settings issue, not a new tv issue!
go through all your settings in the 2003 game, make sure they match what you have in the 2001 game. particularly look to match display resolution, any vertical synch settings, etc.

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Also, Links 2003 works fine if you just use the computer monitor.