Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP only direct me to logoff screen in reg mode and in safe mode

• Please log in to reply

lamlei1225

lamlei1225

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have had 2 virus attacks in the past. both from Antivirus pro 2009. Did a system clean, pulled everything off, formatted it and added only the necessities.

Yesterday while taking my midterm online, I was using firefox browser. I had 3 other browsers up, pandora (music-unfirtunately IE and facebook, again IE was up). I noticed my cursor was dragging a bit. McAfee popped up advising it blocked a virus, I was not able to see what it was. McAfee popped up again asking me to allow some kind of suspicious entry into my system but before I could click do not allow, it dissappeared and then the problems began.

I went immediately to run my existing malwarebytes but my system said "browsing, could not locate" and gave me an option to locate it myself. There was an .exe file missing. My desktop icon for malwarebytes changed, it looked as if it was removed, and I did not remove it! I am the only one who uses my computer. I removed the program completely and tried to re-download it again, receiving a successful download message. when I tried to launch this newly added malwarebytes, it would not launch it said browsing again as if it was not there!

a few moments later, my system began logging off by directing me to the logoff screen only giving me an option to click logoff. I tried booting in safe mode (F8)..it did the same thing.

In both regular and safe mode, the system appeared to launch showing my desktop with no icons briefly, then directing me to logff by selecting logoff as my only option.

I know this is a virus but now I can't figure out how to get rid of this one!

HELP!
Thanks, Leia

Advertisements