Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Upgrading to Windows XP on an Acer Netbook

• Please log in to reply

Kriegster

Kriegster

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I just recently bought the Acer Aspire One netbook which came preloaded with Windows 7 Starter. Not wanting W7 on a netbook I decided to intall Winxp Professional. One of the first problems I encountered was having to change the SATA setting in the bios to IDE which allowed Windows to detect my harddrive.

Then after the installation had completed I took out my flash drive and reset my computer. I now get the error "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem." which i tried to fix by restoring using Acer's built in factory settings thinggy which did not work and i still get the same error when i boot. What should i do? I was thinking about deleting all the partitions on my harddrive and just reinstalling xp on a new partition.

I tried trouble shooting the error by following one of microsoft's tutorials on how to fix that issue and it didn't work.

Edited by Kriegster, 08 February 2010 - 11:38 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
have you reset the sata settings back to the way they were before you starting messing with stuff?

Kriegster

Kriegster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
yes. after it began to show the error i changed all my bios settings to default which did not fix the problem.
I never even got to the first time setup thinggy for xp.

Edited by Kriegster, 08 February 2010 - 12:31 PM.