What is Antivirus Soft?
The Malwarebytes research team has determined that Antivirus Soft is a fake anti-malware application. These so-called "rogues" use intentional false positives to convince users that their systems have been compromised. Then they try to sell you their software, claiming it will remove these threats. In extreme cases the false threats are actually the very trojans that advertise or even directly install the rogue. You are strongly advised to follow our removal instructions below.
How do I know if I am infected with Antivirus Soft?
This is how the main screen of the rogue application looks:
You will find this icon in your taskbar:
And see these warnings:
How did Antivirus Soft get on my computer?
Rogue programs use different methods for spreading themselves. This particular one spreads from infected websites.
How do I remove Antivirus Soft?
Our program Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware can detect and remove this rogue application.
- Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or transfer it from another computer to the infected one.
- Reboot the computer into safe mode.
In safe mode:
- Install Malwarebytes' Antimalware by doubleclicking mbam-setup.exe and follow the displayed instructions.
- Once you've installed Malwarebytes' Antimalware, navigate to the Program Files\Malwarebytes' Antimalware folder.
- Locate the file mbam.exe in this folder.
- Now RENAME the mbam.exe in there to firefox.exe
- If you want to avoid some possible problems later, rightclick the file and use the "Create Shortcut" option. Drag the shortcut to your desktop so you can easily start the program once you are back in normal mode.
- After you reboot back into normal mode:
- Doubleclick the firefox.exe (the renamed mbam.exe or use the shortcut you created) in order to launch Malwarebytes' Antimalware.
- Once the program window is open, the first and most important part is to UPDATE Malwarebytes' Antimalware first.
- This can be done via the Update tab > Check for updates.
- However, when you click the Check for updates, you'll get this error:
This is because the malware you are dealing with has modified your proxy-settings.
- To fix this, please leave Malwarebytes' Antimalware open under the update tab, because you have to be fast here for the following instructions..
- Open your INTERNET EXPLORER (not Firefox or any other browser you use, it has to be Internet Explorer)
- In your Internet explorer in the menu on top, select Tools > Internet Options > Click the Connections tab > Lan Settings button.
- On the resulting screen, UNCHECK everything under Proxy server, so it looks like this:
- Click OK below to confirm the settings, but don't close the window!!
- Then, immediately switch to your open Malwarebytes' Antimalware (already open under the update tab) and click the "check for updates" button again.
- If you were fast enough, Malwarebytes' Antimalware will be able to successfully download the updates.
This procedure sometimes need another attempt, because the malware automatically changes the proxy-settings again, so that's why you need to be fast.
- If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
- Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
- When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
- Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected. Reboot your computer if prompted.
- When completed, a log will open in Notepad.
- You will be prompted to let the computer reboot, after which the rogue application should be gone.
- Rename the firefox.exe back to mbam.exe and delete the shortcut from your desktop, if you created it.
- No, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware removes Antivirus Soft completely.
How would the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware help protect me?
We hope our application has helped you eradicate this malicious software. If your current security solution let this infection through, you might please consider purchasing the FULL version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for additional protection.
As you can see below the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware would have protected you against the Antivirus Soft rogue. It would have warned you before the rogue could install itself, giving you a chance to stop it before it became too late.
Technical details for experts
Signs in a HijackThis log:
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=127.0.0.1:5555
Alterations made by the installer:
Registry =============== [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsoft] "id"="'57.6'" "ooorjaas"="1" <snipped more randomized entries> "knkd"="1" [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections] "DefaultConnectionSettings"==> F...............http=127.0.0.1:5555....<local>.............\.Zo....................... "SavedLegacySettings"==> F...h...........http=127.0.0.1:5555....<local>.............\.Zo.......................
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.44 Database version: 3700 Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 2/7/2010 8:40:55 AM mbam-log-2010-02-07 (08-40-55).txt Scan type: Quick Scan Objects scanned: 137154 Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 37 second(s) Memory Processes Infected: 1 Memory Modules Infected: 0 Registry Keys Infected: 1 Registry Values Infected: 0 Registry Data Items Infected: 0 Folders Infected: 0 Files Infected: 1 Memory Processes Infected: D:\mbamtests\antivirussoft\Antivirus Soft\vacusftav.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Failed to unload process. Memory Modules Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Keys Infected: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\avsoft (Trojan.FakeAV) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully. Registry Values Infected: (No malicious items detected) Registry Data Items Infected: (No malicious items detected) Folders Infected: (No malicious items detected) Files Infected: C:\Downloads\vacusftav.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
As mentioned before the full version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware could have protected your computer against this threat.
We use different ways of protecting your computer(s):
- Dynamically Blocks Malware Sites & Servers
- Malware Execution Prevention