Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

FrankTank4814

FrankTank4814

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I just installed a new slave and when I started windows (XP) there was a balloon on the taskbar indicating it was found. However, I can't seem to use it.

It's not in My Computer, Windows Explorer, etc. but the device manager has it and says its working properly.

Any ideas before I open the Case back up and check the hardware connections?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

tdizzle23

tdizzle23

• Pip
  • 3 posts
format it with f-disk if possible

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You are going to have to fdisk first to set a partition and then format that partition before Windows will/can see it..

Fdisking doesn't format anything, it simply partitions and sets the active partition!!

Murray

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
the fact that device manager reads it means it is connected right. try partitioning in comp management...

Nixx

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Normally when you install a new hd, new hardware wizard will locate it, tell you that it is installed, then quickly flashes, but you can't use it until you restart your cp. After reboot, right click my computer, select manage, disk management, and go at it, create partitions, format the disk, yadda, yadda. You will then see the new disk in My computer.