Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help Choosing My Video Card & Power Supply

• Please log in to reply

drock0989

drock0989

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have an HP A6430F pc. Below are the specs for my pc.

http://h10025.www1.h...=reg_R1002_USEN

I took a test to see if I could play Fallout 3 on my pc and it passed except for my video card...So I'm looking to upgrade my video card for gaming. I was told my pc isn't that great so I'm not going for a 150 dollar card here...just something that will let me play FO3 with good graphics.

I'll probably have to switch out my power supply (current one is 300W). Can anyone recommend a video card replacement and amount for power supply?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
If you scroll down after clicking on THIS LINK you will see the minimum requirements and the RECOMMENDED requirements. Here are the both...

Minimum System requirements:
  • Windows XP/Vista
  • 1GB System RAM (XP)/ 2GB System RAM (Vista)
  • 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
  • Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 256MB RAM (NVIDIA 6800 or better/ATI X850 or better)
Recommended System Requirements:
  • Intel Core 2 Duo processor
  • 2 GB System RAM
  • NvidiaDirect X 9.0c compliant video card with 512MB RAM (NVIDIA 8800 series, ATI 3800 series)
According to the link you gave of your PC's Hardware, you have a PCI Express x16 slot. This is the slot you will use for your video card. Any of these meet or exceed the recommended system requirements: Nvidia 9XXX Series PCI Express x16 Video Cards (Newegg)

None of these say they require more than a 300watt power supply, however, if gaming, there will be much more of a load on your system and I recommend you buy a 80 Plus Certified PSU. I think this one is very affordable, nice amps on the +12v rail, and a very trusted brand: Corsair 400watt PSU

Overall, you are looking at about $100 to upgrade your system to play Fallout 3. Any questions?

drock0989

drock0989

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I was actually going to see about the EVGA GeForce9400gt and Eagle Voltas 600 Watt- seems like a better deal...Any thoughts?

http://www.amazon.co...i...ER&v=glance

http://www.amazon.co...i...ER&v=glance

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
The card you linked to is fine, however it is PCI-E x16 2.0 and your motherboard only has a PCI-E x16 (1.0) slot, the card is backwards compatible and will just run at the 1.0 speeds.

The power supply you linked to is actually less powerful than the Corsair one I linked to. Also, it is not 80 plus certified so that means it won't provide as clean or stable of power as one that is 80 Plus Certified. So during gaming (when the system is under load) the power supply will struggle a lot and often become noisier too.

The Voltas = 264 total watts on the +12v rail (22amps on +12v = 264)
Corsair = 360 total watts on the +12v rail (30amps on +12v = 360)

Remember, Amps x Volts = Watts.

Look at this image HERE for the Corsairs specs and HERE for the Voltas specs.