Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Really annoying explorer

• Please log in to reply

Calveeen

Calveeen

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys, i have this real annoying problem... At first, when i turn on my computer, everything is like BLACK, after that it says that csrss.exe can not be found, and right after that it says explorer.exe could not be found, can anyone help me? -vista user by the way. oh yeah and also when i open task manager, i try to run explorer.exe since that gives out the black image and gives back my background, but now it says explorer.exe could not be found when i click ok.

Edited by Calveeen, 08 February 2010 - 08:41 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:) Calvennnn and I hope this helps you out.

I'm assuming, you're posting from another working XP computer....

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File</b> and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of csrss.exe to the current RC.ISO

* In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
* Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
* Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 (assuming, you're using working XP computer), and select csrss.exe
* Then click Open to add csrss.exe to the CD image.
* Click File and select Save As...
* Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.

Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.

* Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
* Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
* Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
* In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
* Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
* And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.

Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy csrss.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Edited by rshaffer61, 08 February 2010 - 08:42 PM.

Calveeen

Calveeen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
As you can see, im not really a tech- guy, but is it possible to just do a full recovery on my system? because i think these steps are too complicated for me, since its really hard to find the downloads.

Calveeen

Calveeen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
its really terrifying to go with this =/

Edited by Calveeen, 08 February 2010 - 08:50 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will have to Perform a Repair Installation For Vista...guide is here...
This will allow you to repair your Vista installation and keep all of your personal user account files, settings, and programs

Calveeen

Calveeen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have lost the DVD =/, what can i do now? Is it just possible to do a recovery at the beginning when you start up your computer and press F10 or F11 or something?, or it wont help? I have had this problem for about one week already, and i tried the guide you told me what to do, and apparently its still not working.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What make and model is your system?
If it is a name brand there may be a Recovery partition already setup on your hd. Knowing the name brand will allow me to help you get to that partition to do a recovery. Be warned this may format your hd in the process. If there is data you need ot safe guard let me know and i will post instructions on how to make a Linux live cd that will let you backup your data just in case.

Calveeen

Calveeen

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
uhm im not really sure whats the brand actually... all i know thats around my computer is an HP w2207h and the graphics is from NVIDIA, im sorry I know NOTHING about computers when it comes to fixing problems.