Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP: System Files → Slowing Down?

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Good going :)

Advertisements

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Ah, since I can now see the drive freely on this secondary computer, is there a method of "fixing Windows" (like a installer/repair/replacing files) in this setup? (I'm about 90% sure it's a Window's file error.)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, because Windows installation is tied up to the particular computer's hardware.

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Alright (concidering ChkDsk ran successfully when I placed it in the second computer; it might be a bit better atm); how about replacing files while within Ubuntu on the original?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
What files do you have in mind?

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I don't know exactly; I suspect files on the drive for Windows (C:/WINDOWS) are corrupt and thus make "reading" the drive difficult. My father and I have sovled a simular (but less 'lethal') situation where a file containing some profile/login data became corrupted. By copying the 'same' file from another user profile and replacing the corrupted file with this copy, the profile once again worked.

I'm proposing a simular idea; replace some of the files found within WINDOWS that are corrupted with clean versions from other computers of mine or simular sources. The only problem is "which files" need replacing and, after your comment about the Windows/Hardware tie I forgot about, weither they can be brought in from any of my other computers (I have two others running XP atm).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is absolutely pointless/hopeless.
Retrieve your data, move the drive back to the original computer and reinstall Windows.

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Figured; hopefully I can get everything copied without incident.

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hmm, is there any way to easily "force" a copying process to continue on if it comes across a problem file instead of completely stopping the entire process part way in the middle of a folder?

I keep getting a "Could not read the file; make sure the drive is not full, write-protected, or the file is not in use." I know the first two are not the problem here; and I doubt the files are in use (so, corrupt or something). It annoying though when I have to find the spot it failed and start it again from there, so it there a way to set up a "if you can't read/copy it, skip it!" sort of process?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Take ownership of all folders, you want to copy: http://www.winxptuto...m/ownership.htm

Advertisements

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
That should help some, thanks.

In the mean time, I get a "Could not read from the disc" every...say...8 hours where the drive disappears from this computer. This computer I'm using has been through quite a bit itself (it's the one I referred to with the profile problem) so it could be it's hardware, but:

Assuming the problem does not stem from the computer and rather the drive, could such cut offs be due to corrupt files, a corrupt drive, or either?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Corrupt drive, possible.

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
-_- My father pulled out some random 250GB drive that not being used...

So, I'm want to make that the new C drive and place the old C drive in the original computer's forth slot. Then I can just copy what I want back to the new C and use the old as storage I guess. -_-

Here's my problem, I've misplaced my Windows XP CD (or rather, all of them... -_-). I have the product key on the computer's sticker, just not the CD/files to install XP (in fact, we're not sure if this computer even came with a installer CD). Is there a (legal) way to obtain the installer CD and use the same product key:

- Despite that key still being "active" on the old drive (but not accessible; soon to be formatted).
- Despite that this is a different HD altogether? (I suspect this will cause complications.)
- Would trying to continue copying off the data and using the original drive a better idea? (Note, I still need the Windows XP disc ntl. -_-)

Edited by NikkuKaze, 14 February 2010 - 12:28 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I think, this is the best idea so far.
...and yes, as long as you have valid product key, you can legally use any Windows XP CD (like borrowed one).

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Good to know you like the idea; however, I don't have easy access to a XP disc (personal or borrowed) atm. Is there a (legal) download of the installer CD available? (I ask this under the assumption that the disc itself is not what is sold to users, but rather their Product key.)