Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP: System Files → Slowing Down?

• Please log in to reply

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
My computer, after some slowing down, has now become so "corrupted" that Normal Start-up, Safe Mode, Recovery Console, and a "Repair Install" do not seem to work at all. (I'm still waiting on the Repair, but the thing is held up and seems to not want to continue.)

I've had one other computer suffer from a simular problems, but not to this extreme; basically, I think that when the computer was "forced" to shutdown (by a internal error, not a user shutdown), certain system files are corrupted. Through repeated logins after this point, I believe the system file have become so corrupted that I now can not reach the login screen.

Prior to complete unaccessablity, loading Windows, Firefox, and my games took incredable ammounts of time.

What happens Now:

Normal: Gets to the black "Windows XP" screen with a blue bar; the bar goes on indefinitely, freezing every few minutes.

SafeMode: Lists a bunch of .sys files, stops on agqAGP.sys (or something like that) after displaying "Press ESC to skip SDPD.sys." (Again, unsure of the exact name.)

ChkDsk (using a 3rd PT CD): Fails at some point and hangs. (Either in 1st or 2nd part.)

Recovery Console (Internal): Fails to load nessecary files from the HD to start.

Recovery Console (CD): Starts up; when I go to the RC, it hangs on examining the HD partition.

Repair Install: Same as above (RC-CD); still letting it run.

So,

1. Is there still a way to easily repair my system if RI doesn't end up working?

2. Is making the drive a "slave" on another computer and "replacing" files workable?

3. If 1 and 2 are not doable, how exactly can this be done?

Edited by NikkuKaze, 08 February 2010 - 09:21 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I'd start with testing hard drive...

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Additional Info: The "internal" recovery console was installed in a previous virus cleaning; the failure for the RC to start is "Error Code 256 - File:ntkrnlmp.exe".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a Western Digital for my C drive, but I'm not sure which tool to obtain (LifeGuard or "Diagnostics"). I'm assumeing the second diagnostic tool and shall try that first.

If I need the other tool, or if you need to know something from this tool, let me know; otherwise, I'll get back to you here in say an hour.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tested the C drive using the "Data Lifeguard Diagnostic v5.04c for DOS (CD)" tool's Quick Test; no errors were found. I'm reluctant to run the Extended test without backing up the drive (as it suggests; I may have enough space on my S (1.5TB) drive to store a image or something, but I don't know how.)

Edited by NikkuKaze, 09 February 2010 - 05:44 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I may have enough space on my S (1.5TB) drive to store a image or something, but I don't know how.)

Acronis True Image: http://www.acronis.com/ - not free, but the best

Free alternatives:
- Macrium Reflect: http://www.macrium.com/ReflectFree.asp (highly recommended)
- DriveImage XML: http://www.runtime.o...veimage-xml.htm
- SelfImage: http://www.excelcia....N...icle&sid=21
- Paragon Drive Backup: http://www.paragon-s...ome/db-express/

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I assume that since you're suggesting methods of backing the drive up, you're suggesting I do so I can either a) run the Extended Test or b) prepare to format the drive.

I'll get to work on the backup, but may I ask which one you'll be suggesting next in the mean time?

----------------------------------

Are all of these usable without being able to access (log into) Windows?

Edited by NikkuKaze, 09 February 2010 - 06:45 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'd run extended test first.
Having a backup is always a good idea :)

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Are all of these usable without being able to access (log into) Windows?

They seem like they're all .exe usable when I can get into Windows which I can not atm; I'm checking out Reflect right now.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm sorry for the confusion.
I wasn't thinking straight.

You can try this method to back up your data: http://www.smartestc...showtopic=38317

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Alright, got the backup running (took awhile since the Ubuntu didn't see the two drives the first time). It should take all night (I'm copying it all; about 490GB worth to my 1.5TB), so I'll run the scan tomorrow if nothing else goes wrong...

(Funny, this whole process reminds me of this video...)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hehehehe....

Advertisements

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Alright, short of the C drive disappearing after awhile, my whole "My Documents" folder is not existant (when I enter the folder; nothing appears) (Doc/Settings folder is; other profiles appear to be fine).

-_- There's a bit too much in that folder to lose it now, do you have any suggestions?

(I know, it's funny no?)

EDIT:

It appears many of my folders are like this; I know the files are there, but Ubuntu doesn't see the files in the folders... Is there a program maybe that runs like the first ones you suggested that I can run in Ubuntu (it's running right from RAM right? I should have 4GB if that might help...)

Edited by NikkuKaze, 10 February 2010 - 09:55 PM.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm not really very familiar with Linux applications...:)

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hmm, neither am I. -_- I guess I'll keep trying for the time being.

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hmm, I reset the computer and this time around, I can see the Documents folder, but none of the files seem to want to copy easily; almost as if it sees it but can not copy it (which is stupid...). Either it gives me a "fail" message (usually citing I/O as the problem) or writes 0 length files.

Beh, how troublesome. -_-

(EDIT: I'm done for the night. See you tomorrow and thanks for helping me thus far Broni. :))

Edited by NikkuKaze, 10 February 2010 - 10:49 PM.

NikkuKaze

NikkuKaze

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Alright, I found a alternative method for this, but it'll take quite a bit of time.

Take the C Drive, put it in another one of my computers, copy the data to an external, and then to the 1.5 TB drive using Ubuntu. -_- It's a bit lengthly and involves 2x the copying, but it's worth it. I'll get back to you on the scan thing when I get it all copied. >_<