Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Noobie at Computer Building

• Please log in to reply

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
So about a year and a half ago I was in dire need of a gaming computer as my previous one suddenly crashed(It was really old, and was running on miracles, was a matter of time...). Anywho, a friend suggested looking for good prices on Pricewatch.com, I went there and was overwhelmed with information and parts that I did not know anything about. On top of that, I was in a hurry to assemble what I can, and found out that I can choose from a list of parts I wanted to put into a rig on the site and it'd tally up the price for me at the end. So knowing me, I went for what I knew(Video Card, Processor, RAM) and chose the cheapest pieces for everything else in order to compensate for the price. Little did I know that this was going to end up costing me, much sooner than I had anticipated. I ended up with a very generic case with a single built in fan, a 200W PSU that blew out on me and was later replaced by an Antec430W, very cheap RAM that is currently causing me unstable BSOD's. I just wish they would've had a guideline for what parts would coincide with eachother and need to be upgraded depending on what you were getting. =(

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm looking to salvage what's left on this rig and perhaps move it to a new rig and was looking for advice on parts that I can possibly go for. I currently have the following:

Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 2GB(Had 4GB but removed a 2GB stick because of increased BSOD's =/ )
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
Hard Drive: Some cheap Hitachi 150GB HD that I later looked up online and was known for its faults.
Motherboard: P55G Nvidia Geforce7050/610i LGA775 CPU FSB 1333MHz
PSU: Antec 430W

I was thinking of getting a new set of RAM, a new case, and perhaps Windows 7. I don't understand motherboards very much, is my current motherboard viable for this setup?(or for upgrading windows). Should I look to get a better PSU? I'm looking to spend anywhere from $200-$400 maybe more depending. Appreciate the help in advance ^^

Edited by Rx7_HKS, 09 February 2010 - 08:04 AM.

Advertisements