Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot find Ethernet Controller Driver

• Please log in to reply

duck_hunter

duck_hunter

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello,

My brothers desktop computer greatly struggles with the Windows Vista Home that it came with and he doesn't like it either. - I have installed a genuine copy of XP SP3 and I can see that it is already running better but, we're having problems connecting the ADSL up to the internet because the computer needs an ethernet driver.

Usering "Everest" I see that the ethernet inside is called:
RealTek RTL8202 Family PCI-E Fast ethernet NIC ( NDIS 6.0 ) [NoDB]

Going directly to the RealTek website: http://www.realtek.c...p;GetDown=false , I've downloaded the first programme and driver with the version 5.719 but, the computer still doesn't work the ethernet successfully.

This is a Compaq desktop computer that is roughly 2 years old. It's model number is " Compaq Presario SR5025-b ". All of the specifications with this model are still original apart from the fact that I increased the DDR2 RAM to 2GB which did help it run Vista slightly better.

I've e-mailed Compaq ( HP ) asking for help but, the response that I get makes me think that I'm talking to a brick wall. They don't offer me any suggestions and sign my e-mail address up for routine HP spam.

I was wondering if anybody could confirm if the driver and programme that I downloaded should have been correct for the RealTek RTL8202 or if I've made a mistake along the way.

Compaq didn't even give a backup DVD with Windows Vista for this package! But, if we can work a way around this then we will be very appreciative of the fact that we have a smooth running old computer that can access the internet.

Thanks for your time

Luke

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
The driver you've installed is not for the RTL8202 since that model number is not listed on the page you downloaded it from. Furthermore, I've put RTL8202 into their search box and it returns nothing for it.

In any event, drivers for Compaq and the other 'big brand names' are custom-made, which means the regular drivers from the device manufacturer often won't work properly, if at all. Because of this you should wherever possible obtain all the drivers for factory-fitted components from the PC maker's website.

Unfortunately as you may already have discovered, HP only supply Vista-compatible drivers for the Presario SR5025-b.

Because you've 'downgraded' from the pre-installed Windows version to Windows XP, you seem to have hit a brick wall as far as this one driver is concerned. It's a common frustration for upgraders and downgraders alike when they keep the same hardware.

My way out would be to swap the card with a new, retail-boxed one. They don't cost much. That does away with the need for an HP custom driver for Windows XP(that doesn't exist). I'd be very surprised if the new network card wasn't recognised by SP3 using an internal driver - my realtek network card worked straight out of the box on SP3, using a driver that's built into Windows (and it was a retail card I fitted myself).

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 February 2010 - 03:29 PM.

duck_hunter

duck_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I really appreciate your help Phillip. This seems to be the only driver issue that we're having.

I was wondering if a simpler option would be to buy a network adapter that can be firewire or USB2?
http://www.pricespy....at_18.html#g120 -> From this link I have a few options for purchase. I was wondering if there would be simple USB2 things that I could plug in to make it work instead?

I guess that link gives me the new retail network card that I would need but maybe not with a simple USB2

Thanks

Luke

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Yes you can buy a USB network adapter instead, that will save you having to fit one inside the PC case.
They look like a USB memory stick:
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B0006374PK

Do read the instructions carefully. As with many USB devices, you usually have to start the software installation before you plug the adapter in, then wait for the prompt to plug it in. If you plug it in before starting software installation you will have a devil of a job getting it to work.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 24 February 2010 - 05:37 PM.

duck_hunter

duck_hunter

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you once again for your help :-)