Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

batteries

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have to get IE, Thunderbird or use one of the free online services like I do with gmail

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
hey rshaffer61 which one is like or close to outlook express? i really liked this one.

thanks for your help and sory i wasted your time with my other computor. it worked very good for about 8 years. last week i would not start up and i got a friend to help me. then sunday night i was just about to post on this sight and i heard a clicking noise like in the hard drive. i tried to reboot the computer and it said no opreationg system found. so i had to look for another one till i can have my old one fixed. although i like the new one with windows7 if all my other one needs is a hard drive i will get it fixed.

i am checking my email on like buy i would still like something like outlook. let me know what you recomend and i will give it a try. i will check back in the a.m.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OOPS my mistake as Outlook is no longer included with Windows 7.
You would have to most likely try to download it from Microsoft. If not available then ou would have to try one of the others.
Thunderbird is part of the Mozilla programs which includes Firefox web browser. It is based partially off of Netscape from years ago.
Gmail is a online service that is free.
The replacement for Outlook in Windows 7 is Windows Live Mail and you can get it HERE. Though it is a different name it is essentially a improved Outlook. Give it a look and see what you think.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
windows live mail how big of a program isnthis? everntuallly i want to talk to you about all the junk that was sent with this computer thati bought. i hate it when theyput all this stuff on the computer and someone like me will never use.
i put my camera, printer and majic jack and this is all that i will use.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Windows Live Mail is the same size as outlook.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
ok i may try it when i get back from work. i tried to send a photo while ago and it said i did not have a email probram associated with this so i guess i need to do somehting. thanks again

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i downloaded the program and it asked me to restart my computer but when i did i dont seee any differande or any short cut icons. i went to my documents and selected a photo and selected send to email rediepant and i get a message that said no email system detected.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you open Windows live Mail?
If there is no icon then go to Start and then to All Programs
There should be a new listing at the end of the list.
You would have to setup the email account using the servers your ISP have for that or if you use a free online you would need the servers from them. Both incoming and outgoing,

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
thanks i found it. and i made a short cut on my home page. it looks like something that i will really like. however iwill have to finish the instillation tomorrow. i will have to call and get some help with all the pop stuff.
thanks for all your help. i remember you from a good while ago and you helped allot then as well. i let you know how it turns out maybe someone else can learn something too.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thank you for updating us and for the kind words.
Congratulations for getting everything to work for you.

Advertisements

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
recovery disk. i have tried several times to make one however i keep having the same problem
dvd writer slimtype dvd a ds8a-4s
i get the error message saying
media is not writable insert a blank writable dvd

i thought my disk were old or something then i bought some new ones. then i thought i needed a probram to burn cds so i tried to burn some pictures. this worked very well so i am wondering why i cannot burn a recovery disk?

Edited by 40vern, 20 February 2010 - 06:42 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Recovery cd?
I don't understand what you are attempting to do.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
my new computer is is asking me to make a recovery disk. so i selet start and it runs a program to get the computer ready to burn 3 recovery disks. when it get ready for me to actually burn the 1 of 3 disk required i put a cd in the computer and then i get the error message listed above.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you used that name brand media before or is this something different you are trying?

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
no i dont know any thing about this name brand. everything that i typed is what comes up when i put a cd in for it to burn. when i select start and the computer runs a program then the disk drive willopen when it gets ready for me to start burning 1 of the three that i wants me to burn