Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ventrilo and Sprint Smartview conflict What the...?

• Please log in to reply

renshaw_joshua

renshaw_joshua

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, here is the set-up:
I have two primary sources of connecting to the internet, Verizon FIOS at home and Sprint Broadband when on the road. Recently, my computer had a problem with the south bridge that was repaired via some very shotty saudering work =)

Anyways, I have reformmated the drive and the only programs on the computer now are AVG, Sprint Smartview, Ventrilo, and WoW. The problem I am having is that I connect to Ventrilo just fine when I am connected at home to Verizon FIOS, but when I turn my Wi-Fi off, and connect to Sprint Smartview, I can no longer connect to Ventrilo (Ventrilo tells me that a server is available, but when I try to connect I immediately get a disconnection .wav and takes me back to the server is ready to connect prompt). I have no idea why it could connect on one type of internet connection but be unable to with another.

Some of the rudimentary troubleshooting I have done-

It's not that Sprint Smartview does not offer enough bandwidth to run Ventrilo. Ventrilo takes like 3kb/sec in order to connect, and I can connect to Sprint Smartview and surf the web, watch streaming video, speed tests put me at 600 kb/sec avg, etc

I am able to use Yahoo Messanger with voice chat features so it's not a conflict with Sprint Smartview for some reason conflicting with microphone or speakers / headset in some funky way.

I would also like to point out that I have used the Sprint Smartview and Ventrilo combination with no problems for about two years prior. However, this is a "new" version of Sprint Smartview since the version I have always used is no longer available for download from their web-site. Maybe the "new" version does not like the port I'm trying to use? Or does it have some crazy firewall built into that particular program? I can't find the firewall if that is the case, and plus a built-in firewall built into an internet connection program doesn't make any sense to me, but it is orwellian Sprint so who knows..... anyone familiar with these two programs with a suggestion as to what I might be able to do would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Slashor

Slashor

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having this same problem with sprint smartview and ventrilo. Only diff is I HAVE the new and older versions of the sprint smartview software.....first time this happend all i had to do is uninstall the newer version and reinstall the older version.....it also worked for me for about two years..but now all of a sudden no matter which version i use, no dice and no ventrilo :-( please help

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I have limited experience with smartview. What I can suggest is that you may have a version conflict with that software if you have performed an upgrade. What have done in the past is to uninstall all versions. If it won't uninstall, then we can use the msi cleanup utility from microsoft to remove the pointer to the software.

As to ventrilo, when connected to sprint, launch and then go into setup. Make sure you have "direct sound" boxes checked. See what your options are set to for each of the pull down options. It could be that when the sprint modem is in use, that ventrilo is picking it up as a "default" device.