Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ISC LAN and WiFi connection. Help!

• Please log in to reply

Saint Lulu

Saint Lulu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've looked all over for advice on how to do this but nothing yet D: so I've found G2G and hope they can help... I'm trying to connect my PC to the internet by connecting it via Ethernet cable to my laptop which has and internet connection established. Most people say to just select both the LAN and WiFI connection and hit bridge connection but the only problem with that is that is their is only one connection on my laptop and that is my wireless internet connection. Both computers run on XP and my PC says that their is limited to no connection and my laptop shows no signs of being connected to my PC... Someone please help me... I'm desperate to get my PC back online.

Thanks...

~Jake

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Saint Lulu? And welcome to GtoG..

To setup your systems what you will need to do is go to the Network Connection control panel on your WiFi system, right mouse click on your Wireless conn, then left click on properties. Once the property window is up, click on the "Advanced" tab. Here you will see a choice for ICS, internet connection sharing. Enable it and it will ask you what connection you want to share it with, (in this case it will be your Local network conn). You will be advised that the Local conn is being configured to a ip address of 192.168.0.1, (that's ok). Your other system needs to be looking for its address automatically, (network connection on the other system) and it should now connect properly to your WiFi system, (because now its accepting other systems to connect to it and providing the path to the internet.

You may find that the connection does not stay stable if you're using a normal UTEP cable. You may need a direct patch cable, (that's a UTEP cable with slightly different wiring...

Hope this helps..

Saint Lulu

Saint Lulu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The only problem with that is their is no ICS choice in the advanced options section... This is what my advanced settings screen looks like for my wireless connection...

Posted Image

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
What XP are you running? Is this that XP Starter version? If so, you do not have a full set of networking tools....