Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backing up my PC

• Please log in to reply

Apocrypha

Apocrypha

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello. This isn't really a crisis, but I thought the nice people at G2G would be able to clear up a few things for me.

I recently bought a Western Digital external hard drive to use as a back-up. It has some software on it (some WD drive checking stuff and a 30 trial of Memeo back-up software). I'm not very impressed with the WD apps and I'd like to replace the Memeo software with something free. I'd also like to free up space on the drive by deleting the pre-loaded software.

SO, my questions and concerns:

1: Can I simply delete everything on the drive to free up space? (I haven't actually backed anything up on it, yet). Would a simple select->delete be sufficient? Or should I re-format?

2: What is some good back-up software? I have two goals in mind and don't mind if I have to use different programs to accomplish both goals, so long as it is free (And mostly trouble free).
A) to back up my files and programs before moving them to my new PC. (WinXP to Win7)
B) And then use the drive to keep an image from the internal HDD on the new PC.

Any thoughts?

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go

It might be wise to copy the folders and files supplied on the WD MyBook to a CD or USB stick before deleting it all (and yes, you just delete it like deleting anything else) just in case you decide you want to use some of it at some future time. Do not delete the drive icon and the file named autorun.inf if they exist. Together, they give you a custom icon in Windows Explorer. However, even with nothing on the disk it will still work.

I don't use backup software myself, although I do backup -- religiously. I do it manually (copy/paste) because most backup software uses proprietary compression to create the backups, and I prefer to have instant access to all my individual copies without having to mess about with a backup program to get at them.

When you say "to back up my files and programs", I'm not quite sure what you have in mind. You cannot backup installed programs to move them to another PC. That would not work. You will have to install them on to the new PC using the installation discs or downloaded installation packages. Apart from anything else, not all XP-compatible programs will work on Windows 7.

As for creating a backup image of your Windows 7 installation, that's an excellent idea. There's a free utility to do that from Paragon Software which will create a backup image of your Windows 7 partition, using your external disk to write it to. I use it myself so I know it works:
http://www.paragon-s...ress/index.html

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 February 2010 - 12:49 PM.

Apocrypha

Apocrypha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply!

When I mentioned backing up my programs, I meant primarily the MMOs I've got installed. I really don't want to download gigs and gigs of updates after re-installing. I suppose I'll have to re-install those from their discs and then copy over the update files manually?

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
MMOs??

Apocrypha

Apocrypha

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Massively Multiplayer Online games. The instal disc only contains the program as it was released. With some of the games I have (City of Heroes, World of Warcraft) there are almost 5 years worth of updates that I would have to download.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
I have used Syncback Free for my back up needs. You can backup folders or sub-folders or individual files or the entire drive. They are not compressed so you can easily get at the files.

I also use Easeus ToDo Backup. This is free and it will copy partitions or clone the entire drive.

123runner