Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Empty Device Manager and Related Issues (XP)

• Please log in to reply

garfield_tsm

garfield_tsm

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
The Symptoms:
I first noticed my problem when attempting to change the settings on my LAN connection only to find that it did not display. When a friend attempted to diagnose the problem, he discovered that my device manager was completely empty. Since this first instance, I have discovered many other problems. My iPod will not connect to iTunes. My Computer, Control panel, and Add/Remove programs are VERY slow to load. Most of the time, attempting to shut down the computer through the start menu leads to the computer freezing up, and I must hold down the power button to force a shut down. All of these problems still exist.

Attempted Fixes:
I have been living with this problem for years, so I unfortunately can't remember everything that I have done to try to fix it. Every so often I search the forums for a solution and try anything I can find, but after repeated failures, I give up for a while. The closest I have found to my problem came from annoyances.org. I followed every step from this posting: http://www.annoyance...inxp/1134095035. I think I have found the problem thanks to this site, but I still cannot fix it. After searching through the sub-keys under the Enum registry key, I identified one that is corrupt. I know it is corrupt because I cannot even open it. The key name is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SW\{ddf4358e-bb"c-11d0-a42f-00a0c9223196}. When I click on it, I get an error message "Cannot open {ddf4358e-bb”c-11d0-a42f-00a0c9223196}: Error while opening key." If I attempt to change the permissions, I get an empty window except for the message "Unable to display security information." If I attempt to delete the key, I get the error message "Cannot delete {ddf4358e-bb”c-11d0-a42f-00a0c9223196}: Error while deleting key." I suspect that if I can get rid of this registry key, it will fix my problem although I cannot be sure.

Although intending to post on this forum, I accidentally posted on the malware forum first. I was told that they didn't see any signs of malware present, and they cleared me of this being malware related.

Thanks for any advice you can give!!!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try to open registry editor with regedt32, instead of regedit?

garfield_tsm

garfield_tsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, I have tried both ways. I also tried opening it in safe mode and was still unable to do anything, although I can't remember if I used regedit or regedit32 while in safe mode.

And thank you so much for replying so fast! It was over 5 days first time I posted (in the wrong forum).

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
How do you actually know, {ddf4358e-bb"c-11d0-a42f-00a0c9223196} key is responsible?

garfield_tsm

garfield_tsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm not positive. It's mostly based on the fact that nothing else has worked, and I figure a corrupt registry key can't be a good sign.

I've followed all suggestions I could find on the issue in various forums, and the only one that led to any type of change or discovery was to search for corrupt registry keys. I know this one must be corrupt because I cannot open, change, or delete it. That is my only hint. If you think it is not related to this registry key, I am willing to try any other suggestions.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Did you try this: http://helpdeskgeek....empty-or-blank/
Did you try to run "sfc /scannow"?

garfield_tsm

garfield_tsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Although I was pretty sure I had already done the steps at the website, I went through the steps again just to make sure. When I attempted step 2, after selecting "Reset permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects," I clicked ok. It popped up the expected warning message, and after selecting "Yes" to continue, I got an error message. It said, "Registry Editor could not set security in the key currently selected, or some of its subkeys." I believe this is because of my pesky corrupt subkey, but once again, that's just a conjecture on my part.

I then ran the scan you suggested. I had not tried that before. Device manager still empty.

Alan_B

Alan_B

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had a similar problem with RegEdit. I took ownership of a key but still could not delete it, because it held a sub-key that could not be deleted, because that held a sub-sub-key etc. etc. etc.

I downloaded Registrar Registry Manager (free) and that instantly showed me that 2000 keys were being held hostage by a couple of inaccessible keys,
and 3 or 4 clicks later the registry was nice again.

Alan

garfield_tsm

garfield_tsm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Oh my gosh! I love you I love you I love you! I wasn't sure what to do with the program at first. Then I just ran the defragment, restarted, and my Device Manager was back!!! And all of the problems that had been plaguing me were gone! Blessings upon you! :) My ipod has new music for the first time in years...I'm so excited! Thank you both sooo much for your help! :)