Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer swapping hard drive

• Please log in to reply

Tanner101

Tanner101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Last night my computer went crazy and the mobo is now fried, so i took the hard drive that was working fine out of it and put it into my gateway gt5028. It boots up fine and when it gets to the screen where it asks if i want to boot normally or with safe mode enabled, the second i click either safe mode or normal a blue screen pops up and tells me that there is something wrong with my hard drive. I put in an old computer and it works fine.

Any help would be appreciated, thnx!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the computers are not both the exact same you won't be able to use the main drive from the one system to boot the gateway.
The problem is the drivers it loads are not compatible with the gateway.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 February 2010 - 09:38 AM.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
This process can actually be accomplished by utilizing the Ultimate BootCD, and this article from Microsoft.

Hope this helps,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It can be accomplished as you statedTechextreme but the issue is now the time it is going to take to replace pretty much every driver installed on the drive since it was not setup on the Gateway.
Not only that but there is a legality issue since the OS is from a different system and therefor cannot be legally changed over like this without contacting Microsoft for a new Reg number.
What is the system the drive came out of originally?

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 February 2010 - 09:42 AM.

Techextreme

Techextreme

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

This article describes how you may receive a Stop error when you try to start the Microsoft Windows XP-based backup computer after you move the system disk to a backup computer. This issue occurs when registry entries and the drivers for the mass storage controller are not installed in Windows XP. To resolve this issue, use the same hardware in the backup computer.

As this can be considered a backup computer there should be no legality issues as stated by microsoft.

This option that I laid out is long and tedious, but will allow the user to keep their computer settings, and documents until either the original machine is repaired or pertinent data is backed up and the system reinstalled in accordance with the license.