Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Graphics Cards Overheating issue

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay rig in question is in my sig. The issue is during POST, while in the BIOS, Using Windows System Recovery, During Post-Post before Win7 Bootloader. In any given section of that list my computer can/will freeze up from my Graphics Cards getting too hot. When it happens the system locks up and it goes into an auto reboot cycle but instead of rebooting the fans kick to high speed for anywhere between 45seconds to a minute. Then reboots again, after the second reboot the system will function fine until they over heat again. When this happens I usually have to shut down completely for atleast 15mins to allow the cards to cool down enough to get the system to boot in to the OS. Since as soon as it loads the Login screen the fans turn on and go into auto state until I play a game then I use the nvidia tools to set them to full speed for while I am playing so the cards are not constantly at 80c while playing.(Been using the nvidia performance utility since oct of last year)

This only happens when I am rebooting my system! Since this is the only time they are at normal operating temp (50-55c idle). Usually this hasn't been that big of a deal but this morning while trying to install updates the fans spun down too soon since windows unloaded the driver causing them to overheat and crash my updates. Then when trying to do the initial restore it happened again. I finally got the system to stay on long enough during the recovery period so I can get back into windows.

This issue started happening right around Christmas, I haven't changed anything on my system. I noticed one day when working on linux livecd that the fans weren't spinning on my graphcis cards since the LiveCD distro didn't have sufficient driver for fan control. Which caused the system to reboot before I goto to the Gparted utility to install Mandrake. Since then it reboots randomly as stated above.

I don't know if flashing the ROM will help control the fans or not but my BIOS has no control over the fans in the graphics card just CPU, Northbridge, System.

Any other suggestions??? I am short of propping up a 20" box fan to the side of my case for when I need to do work in DOS, or anywhere else that may not have fan control drivers for my cards.

TIA Jon

Advertisements

mkau

mkau

• PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Take your graphics cards out of your computer and clean them out with compressed air.
That's your problem, I think.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Speed Fan has never detected my systems sensors correctly, So I don't use it any more. For me speedfan can be off as much as 50c on temps, I am using nVidia Performance Monitor Utility right now, that has much more accurate readings.

Anyways I don't know how this will help since it is in windows and these temps should be taken while not in windows where there are no drivers.

My other grip about speed fan is that it won't control fan speeds for me. I can try and no fans change speed on my system. So that and coupled with the woefully inaccurate temp readings just keep me away from it.

Attached Thumbnails

• temp_reading.jpg

Edited by amw_drizz, 10 February 2010 - 08:46 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well according to those readings everything seems to be in order.
Have you checked the inside of the system to make sure the dust is cleared out?
How about the inside of the case..is there good airflow?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Yea system is clean of dust. Been Cleaning it every month with a full tear down every 6 with the last tear down in oct.

Still trying to figure out why nvidia doesn't control the fan when in console mode or before windows loads. Since that is my issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download and install EVGA Precision from here. (Click on the Download (America) or Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Run EVGA Precision. On the right side, you should see Fan Speed and, beside it, an Auto button. Click the Auto button so that it is no longer selected, then change the Fan Speed to 100%. Now, go to the left side, and on the bottom, click Apply.

If that doesn't alleviate crashes, try this:

First, uninstall the NVIDIA drivers (if they are still installed) using Add or Remove Programs. You can get to Add or Remove Programs by clicking on the Start Button, then clicking on Control Panel. Then click Add or Remove Programs. Once in Add or Remove Programs, you need to find NVIDIA Drivers and click Change/Remove. (If you have an NVIDIA chipset, make sure the NVIDIA Display Driver checkbox is checked, then click Remove. Otherwise, just click Yes.)

Next, please download and install Driver Sweeper from here. (Click on the Download (Europe) link, then scroll down and click on I Agree.)

Then, boot the computer into safe mode. To do this,
  • Turn the computer on (or restart the computer if it is already on).
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in safe mode.
Next, open the program, Guru3D Driver Sweeper, that you just installed. Check the checkbox for cleaning NVIDIA - Display drivers. Then press the Clean button.

Reboot normally (not into safe mode), and then, download and install the newest drivers found HERE.

Reboot when prompted, and let us know if you still receive the error message.

Thanks to Stettybet0 for the instructions

Edited by rshaffer61, 11 February 2010 - 07:41 AM.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
The system is fine while in windows and windows only. I am trying to figure out why it crashes when I am using a less graphical demanding OS it crashes.

To recap it only happens during the following.
  • During POST after playing a game (ie Reboot immediately after playing)
  • While in the BIOS Screen to change Settings
  • After POST but before Windows Login Screen Loads
  • During the operation of any other OS like Linux That do not have Fan Control Sets for nVidia
  • While Using the Windows 7 Recovery Utility (since it doesn't load any nvidia drivers)
  • Pretty much anything that doesn't deal with windows.

Once I am in Windows 7 the system has no issues, that cards stay in temp range the whole time. This issue only occurs when I am outside of Windows.

Sorry to sound like an a$$ but the problem isn't with windows at all, it has to do with the cards not turning the fans on to a minimal state outside of windows. The way this is going on I could be using DOS for 15mins and it will reboot since the cards no longer regulate any minimal fan speeds.

end rant,

About EVGA Precision, I used to use that program until a driver release killed it for me. No longer works, I'd load up the program and it would lock up until I rebooted. If the Program autoloaded it was fine but soon as you try and open it. It would crash.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In bios there is nothing telling the graphics car to work but bios and the fact it is powered.
The temp control is all a Windows based program. If your bios has nothing to support cpu fan control then you would have to check with manufacturer of the board to see if a bios flash would add that control or buy a separate fan control hardware for when you are in DOS.
Again as you stated it only happens when you are not using windows therefor there is no fan control activated since it is all windows based programming.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
I thought that the ROM on the graphics cards always had some minimum level for the fans on the graphics cards.

I guess I should look in to some aftermarket heat sinks for my graphics cards.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The fan should come on when the system is powered on. Now if it runs at top speed I doubt it by default. There are several hardware fan control items on the market but I don't know of any DOS based programs that would do what you are needing.