Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP All-In-One Printer App Won't Start--libexpatw.dll missing

• Please log in to reply

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• PipPip
  • 96 posts
HP Photosmart C6180 All-In-One printer/scanner/fax/copier on a Gateway desktop computer with Windows XP connected through a wireless router. Worked fine for several months. Started having much difficulty scanning and converting documents into PDF format.

I uninstalled without program CD (couldn't find it initially), and downloaded and installed a supposed complete package of software and drivers from the HP website. Since then I cannot access the "HP solution center" application which is the starting point for scanning and other features.

When I installed all the drivers from the HP website, I could not find the HP Solution Center icon. I eventually found the software CD and tried to again uninstall and reinstall, which did result in finding an icon for the HP solution center, which when clicked, gave the following error message:

"This application has failed to start because libexpatw.dll was not found. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem."

Well, reinstalling has not fixed this problem. I have tried twice with the CD and with the application/drivers package downloaded from the HP website. Still get the same message. I have tried to search libexpatw.dll on the HP support site, and come up empty.

I downloaded libexpatw.dll from a non-HP website. It remains in a download folder. What do I do with this download now? I still get the same error message.

Your help will be appreciated. :)

Edited by JCastaldi, 11 February 2010 - 08:07 AM.

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hi JCastaldi,

Try putting the downloaded libexpatw.dll file into C:\Windows\System32\
Then, try running the software again to see if it comes up with the error meesage.

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Thank you for responding. I apologize for not replying sooner.

Can you or anyone else walk me through the process of placing the downloaded dll file into C:\Windows\System32\?? Thanks.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hey,

The easiest way, is to find that libexpatw.dll file you downloaded, right click it and choose Copy.

- Then Click the Start button (bottom left) then click My Computer
- Double click C: Drive then double click Windows folder, then System32 folder
- When you are in the System32 folder, right click on any white space (ie not an icon or a folder) and then click Paste. (The other way you can do it, when you are in the System32 folder, is click Edit at the top then click Paste)
Once the file is in the System32 folder, open the program and see if it still comes up with that error.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on :)

JCastaldi

JCastaldi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
Your instructions were successful in removing the error message.

However, even though I no longer receive that message, I still cannot open the HP Solution Center, without which I cannot scan and convert documents to PDF.

The one thing that I have noticed is that the icon for this program is darker or dimmer than it usually is, which I have noticed ever since this problem arose. I assume that there is a corrupt file somewhere, even though I have tried downloading the program from both the installation disk and the complete program from the HP website.

If there is anything else I can provide to elicit more helpful suggestions, please let me know. In the meantime, I will once again try to completely uninstall the software and reinstall it to see if it will function again.

Edited by JCastaldi, 18 February 2010 - 07:42 AM.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Strange that the icon has changed colour slightly.
Let me if it works or not after completely uninstalling the HP software then reinstalling it.
:)

Wurl

Wurl

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the exact same problem with my HP6450. It started when HP did an automatic software upgrade. After the upgrade, the solution center did not work, only displaying a background and no text. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the solution center in the same manner as JCastaldi and got the same results - no icon and a missing libexpatw.dll. I also downloaded the dll and got back to the point where there was background and no text. I also tried reconnecting the printer, but the HP software doesn't see it on the network. It's there, though, because my computer still recognizes it as a printer and prints to it. It's the scanning and fax functions that work through the solution center.

The reason that the icon changed color is that the exe file is different. The upgrade also moved all the apps to a new directory. From c:\program files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\.... to c:\program files\Hewlett Packard\Digital Imaging\....

I know there is nothing wrong with the printer or its connection because my laptop still runs the non-upgraded version of the software and everything works fine. Also, I tried reinstalling the software from the original cd, but the cd now seems to install only the "upgraded" version, so it must automatically go out and seek upgrades even though I said no when asked during the installation.

Next stop, call HP and hope they know about this problem.

P.S. - The so called missing dll does not appear anywhere on my laptop yet the software still works. You can bet I'm not accepting any HP upgrades on that until this problem gets solved.

Wurl

lady2

lady2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Black Ninja - you are a doll!!! I was having the same problem and I have uninstalled, added "patches", reinstalled - about 5 times!!! I finally gave up on trying to do what my printer manufacturer told me and went searching on my own. Found this web site and that someone else had the same problem.. I just followed the instructions you gave and VOILA'

I could hug you if I could reach thru the screen. So a GREAT BIG THANKS will have to do.

Lady2
:)

ddmal

ddmal

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP C7280 All-In-One Printer.I, too, am missing HP Solution Center. I am using Windows Vista on my TOSHIBA Satellite P305D-S8828 laptop. I have the icon which brings up a blank gray page titled "HP Solution Center (Not Responding)." I am not sure when the libexpatw.dll file went missing; at least two months ago.I begrudgingly paid for HP Phone Support after my efforts of uninstalling with the disc, and applying all the online fixes I dared to. I gave control of my screen to two different HP techs, and each scoured the system uninstalling HP components then reinstalling from online. It was the second tech who informed me that libexpatw.dll was missing. Both techs notified HP "advanced tech support" of the situation and promised I would get a phone call. The calls never happened. This "support"?? began on Feb 15,11. After 5 more calls from me, 5 more promises from them, and no results, a "supervisor" told me I would have to wipe my harddrive clean and reinstall everything. Imagine how excited I am about doing that! I, too, can print and can sometimes scan from the Paint program, but can no longer access any of the HP Solution Center functions, including upgrades. Has anyone found "The Solution" to the missing "Solution Center?"

raphaelnikolai

raphaelnikolai

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well there are only two outcome for this issue. It's either you easily fix it or you spend 1 or 2 hours uninstalling and reinstalling your printer software. Here's a document link that will guide you throught he troubleshooting process...

Libexpatw.dll Fix with Solution Center