Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Transferring Data From Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I did press R when the Windows Setup screen came up, but nothing happened it only started loading the files. Is there a different point that I should be pressing R.

I never got to any screen that said "Welcome to Setup", only the Windows Setup. Was I correct in the way that I booted the computer from the CD?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this isn't working. Have you been able to get your data moved to the new system yet?

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Not yet, I was hoping this would work and I am not sure about how I need to go about taking out the hard drive and transferring the data, i.e. how to remove the drive and what kind of cable I need to transfer the data from it to the new computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first what is the make and model of old system? Is it a desktop or laptop?
I can try to find the info on it and tell you what you need to make it work correctly. Most likely a external drive enclosure will do the job.
If both systems are desktops then it could be easier then purchasing a enclosure. Let me know and we will go from there.

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The old system is a laptop, Toshiba Satellite A105-S4385 and it runs Windows XP

The new system is also a laptop, Toshiba Satellite L505D-ES5025 and it runs Windows 7.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK being laptop then you would have to get a external enclosure for a 2.5" hd. Most likely a usb connection to the laptop itself.
I don't know what type of hd connection it is but I'm sure being 5 years old it could be a IDE connection.

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Is this the correct item

http://www.staples.c...3?cmArea=SEARCH

Does it include the cable that would go from the hard drive to the computer to transfer and will this work with one of the computers having Windows 7?

Sorry for so many questions, I am not too savvy when it comes to fixing computers but can generally follow directions if given to try and fix them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That seems to be the correct one. I would contact Toshiba and ask what type of HD you have. Either SATA or IDE.
If you have the owners manual it should say in that.

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It is an SATA and I just realized that I typed A105-S4385 instead of A105-S4384 for the model number.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not a problem. You just need to get a SATA enclosure with a USB connection to the laptop.

Advertisements

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
So I got an external enclosure today and was able to transfer everything from my old computer's hard drive to my new computer. Now is there anything I can do from here to restore my old computer or is just unfixable. TIA!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well now lets try the Recovery Option thats hould be built into your system already.
This is where you will have to be careful.
A Destructive Recovery will format the system and return it to the way it was when brand new. All data will be lost this way.
Non Destructive Recovery is like a Repair Installation and in most cases will leave data and programs untouched.
I don't know what options you will be given in this next step but let me know before you proceed past this if you are offered a choice. If not then by default it will do the Destructive Recovery and thats why I wanted to make sure you had all the data backed up first.

Toshiba:

To access the recovery partition do the following...
Power off the laptop.
Hold down the 0 (zero) key and turn the laptop on. Keep holding down the zero key until the TOSHIBA logo appears.
Start tapping the zero key repeatedly at this point.
Stop if the unit beeps or when the TOSHIBA logo disappears.
The screen should flash HDD RECOVERY MODE for a second and then it will load the Toshiba recovery program right from the hard drive.
Note that this erases all data, and reloads all factory default software.

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well I am not sure what I did when I took the hard drive out bc that is not working. It turns on and I hold down 0 and nothing. I even tried to boot it up normally and nothing shows up on the screen. It looks like this must be a lost cause, thankfully I was able to get my stuff off the hard drive.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

It turns on and I hold down 0 and nothing

repeatedly tap zero after pressing the power button.

kwelch10377

kwelch10377

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

It turns on and I hold down 0 and nothing

repeatedly tap zero after pressing the power button.

It say the do that after the Toshiba logo appears, the logo never appears.