Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Seagate external went wacko with Vista

• Please log in to reply

catcooter

catcooter

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have two external hard drives. Both are Seagates. One is 500 mg. I use it exclusively to put my ITunes music on. I know I should back up my entire computer, as crashes are inevitable here so I bought this cool Seagate 1.5 TB, easy take along thing. (it's not the tiny one but not the big huge one either, white and silver) My husband set it up and was successful in getting it to run a back up of not only my computer hard drive, but also the small Seagate external. One day it just said it failed to make an update. WHen we tried to set it back up it said there was new software which we of course installed. BAD idea. BOOM, everything went bad. I know nothing about comupeters, hubby does that and after hours he was able to restore my laptop to usable condition. (It is a Dell Inspiron 1525, 32 bit) Since then we have been unable to use the larger Seagate. MY son fooled with it and got "Code 28". We think it has something to do with drivers but don't know. (I also run on Vista, lucky me) Can anyone help me so I can USE the big Seagate again. I'd like to watch the anime I downloaded on it, and continue to use it for a backup to the other things.

I believe what started this ws when I turned off my laptop, unplugged it and moved it to use in another room. I plugged the harddrives back in, in exactly the same order (last time I did this I lost all my music cause ITunes couldn't find it, was very confusing) My son said there was a conflict with the DRive letters and did some small feature in Vista which renamed them properly. I'm scared to death to try to resync my Ipod after this. Currently only the small 500 mg external is pluggged in so I can still listen to my music, BUT if you go into iTunes it has all these dots that say things are missing, yet they aren't. That is the result of the drive switcharoo but it was better than losing everything and starting from scratch, which I had to do once before. (I had another hard drive completely crash and I lost everything. I had to redownload EVERY song back into this new external and then retransfer it back to ITunes. it was a harrowing long ordeal that I don't want to repeat.

Can anyone helpme get the big Seagate to work again with my laptop? Hubby said calling Seagate and Dell has been hopeless. My last resort is to find someone in town that works on computers and turn it over and I can't really afford that right now. HELP? Thanks everyone, Cat

Advertisements