Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Very Annoying Pop Up Message

• Please log in to reply

jek1862

jek1862

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I am getting a very annoying pop up message that is repeatedly showing up on many websites I go to. It says:

In the upper left hand corner, "Internet Explorer Security". Then the message says: "A website wants to open up web content using this program on your computer. This program will open up outside of Protected Mode. Internet Explorer's Protected Mode helps protect your computer. If you do not trust this website do not open the program."
Name: Adobe Flash Player
Publisher: Adobe Systems Incorporated
Details: ...\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil 10d.exe

There is a box that says 'do not show me the warning for this program again', but even if I check it, I continue to receive the warning. There are two boxes for 'allow' and 'don't allow'. I keep clicking don't allow, but the message just keeps popping up.

I do not wish to turn off my popup blocker. I am looking for an alternate solution. Also why this message keeps coming up on my computer. I have absolutely no desire to accept anything from Adobe or the Macromedia Flash Player or anything like that. For what it's worth, I switched from XP to Vista Ultimate recently, and never got this warning on XP...only lately has it been popping up, but it is there every single day I am online and I just want to get rid of it. Please help. Thank you.

Advertisements

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Something maybe significant I forgot to add. The popup ONLY appears when I am using Internet Explorer. It does not appear at all when I use the other browsers on my system, Google Chrome and Avant, luckily. I just use IE occasionally, when certain websites require it. So it appears to be tied in with Internet Explorer somehow. Anyway, thought I would add this. It might help to diagnose my problem.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
See here: http://www.mydigital...protected-mode/

jek1862

jek1862

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
You guys have one of the best forums on the internet to help people, in my opinion. Almost always my problems are solved here, and you did it once again. I went to the link and read all about the "Protected Mode" security feature of Internet Explorer and how it could relate to the problem I am having. So I DID have Protected Mode on, I guess it is the default setting, so the article suggested if you are getting annoying pop up messages of the type I described, to try and turn off Protected Mode and see what happens. I turned it to off and no more pop up message. So it appears my problem is solved.
However, as soon as I turned it off, I get a message from IE saying something to the effect my 'computer is now at risk'. They 'seem' to want you to have that on, is the feeling I get. I don't think my computer, personally, is now 'at risk' because I have turned Protected Mode off. I'd rather have left it on, to be honest with you, but that pop up forced me to turn it off. I have good anti-virus, and anti-spyware on my machine. So let's turn the subject, if we may, to the turning off of Protected Mode. IS my computer now a 'security risk'? Should I be concerned about it? And if so, what can I do about it. Thanks.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

IS my computer now a 'security risk'?

No. I suggest, you install WOT: http://www.mywot.com/ and you'll be better off, than with annoying IE pop-ups.