Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hardrive issue, PLEASE PLEASE HELP

• Please log in to reply

mkdisciple

mkdisciple

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I've been having hardrive issues for a very long time, six years to be exact.

I have two drives, a C and a D. the C has 15gb of space while the D has 110 or somewhere near that. The problem is, when I download something, anything, it goes to the C instead of the D. Don't know why, all temp flies go there. Over time I moved things to the D, but many problems arose. I kept getting low disk space errors which you'd figure when the drive only has 15gb of space. Anyway I had enough, today I completely reinstalled windows and everything is running smoothly once more, but now I want to do things right, I want things to go to the D instead of the C. I haven't even copied my itunes in fear that the music will totally kill off the C drive.

In short, I want things to go the C drive instead of the D.

Please help, thank you.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks To Go!

For Internet Explorer, when you see the 'Download' box and you click 'Save', another box will pop up. Use the 'Browse' button in that box to select a suitable folder on the 'D' drive, then click 'Save'. Internet Explorer should remember the last download location you selected, so that on future downloads that location should already be set to the 'D' drive when the 'Save' box appears.

For Firefox, you can set it so it always downloads to a specific folder on a specific drive.
Open Firefox, go to 'Tools > Options'.
In the 'General' section there's an option which says "Save File To...". Click the 'Browse' button and navigate to the 'D' drive and select a suitable folder (or create a new one). Click 'OK'.

Note: 'temp' files (those with a 'tmp' at the end) created by installers and by the system will always be created on the Windows drive. Just delete the ones which are older than 24 hours, it's quite safe to do that.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 11 February 2010 - 05:21 AM.