Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New HD won't boot with slave connected

• Please log in to reply

Edward26

Edward26

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I have had two Seagate EIDE HDs operating as slave & master in my system for some time now. Bought a new WD Caviar Blue 500GB and used Acronis True Image WD Edition to clone the C:\ successfully. Powered down and changed the jumpering and drive positions on the ribbon so that the new drive is master and the old system drive would be the slave.
The system won't start, it stops at the 1st screen where we press DEL to enter CMOS. The drives are listed correctly, new HD being primary, the old HD being secondary. Eventually it says the drive failed.
Swapping the drives back the system starts and operates normally. We can explore the new drive and it is a mirror image of the original C:\.
I set up the new drive as a master on it's own and it starts fine and seems to operate normally.
Connected the old drive as slave and no go. Connected the old slave drive and still no go.
System is a AMD Athlon 1.92Ghz 1Gb Ram Windows XP pro
Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

baula

baula

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
here is the tutorial for cloning the os. hope this will help u solving ur problem.
http://www.pcstats.c...m?articleID=418

Edward26

Edward26

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for that, I had read that article plus others and feel that everything has been done correctly. I have decided to run the system with the new HD on it's own. I had previously made a copy of the old slave onto an external drive and used that to copy the data I wanted onto the new HD. So, all should be good.
I'm reminded of an old saying, "For whom computers destroy they must first drive mad!"
Happy computing everyone!
Edward